Help! My hen is being pecked!!

ChickyMomm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Massachusetts
Hello everyone! I have a bit of an issue I can't quite figure out how to solve, this time.

Just about 30 minutes ago, I looked out my window to see one of my normally white hens, tinted all over her feathers with red. I rushed outside and saw that the other hens were giving her a serious pecking on her comb, and all that red was blood.
I know she didn't cut herself on anything because they continued doing it even while I approached, and there was plain evidence all over their feathers, too, but less serious than the one being pecked. I had to remove her because they were attacking her every step she took, and even when i tried to scare them away from her they'd all run back from some different direction.
She's currently in my bathroom with some water and food, and she's made herself comfortable but I'm not sure how long I can keep her in there, because my family doesn't approve of a bloody chicken camping in our bathroom.
We have a small portable coop, but unfortunatley it's extremely flimsy and easy for any predators who smell blood to get into. There's already a slight hole in it from when I had some pullets in there and one morning there was a hole from a coyote or maybe a fox.

What do I do?? I'm tempted to use the flimsy coop, but I'll have to move it to a spot closer to the house and reinforce it with some objects surrounding the walls so they can't be ripped apart.

Clean up her comb as best you can, get some Blu Kote and completely cover the injured area. This hides the injury from the other hens. Let her stay inside and rest a while. As long as there is no bleeding you can try letting her out tomorrow maybe and just watch and see how it goes. Have you ever had aggression problems in the flock before? If not this may have just started with a simple peck that drew blood and then they all went after her. In that case usually once the blood is not visible any more it's no longer an issue. But if it was caused/started by an aggressive or bully bird then it will probably happen again.

Well you definitely can't put her back in the run until all of the wounds have healed enough that there is NO blood.

Do you have a garage or a shed that you could use? What about a wire dog kennel that could go in the chicken coop. If the chicken coop/run is predator proof could you put the flimsy temp coop in there? Not sure how cold it is there and if that could be another issue. If she is torn up bad warmth will help her heal.

Can you get the Blue Kote at Tractor Supply? It's the only store that's close to us that we can get food and other essentials from. I clean her comb, but she's outside in the small coop we have. I reinforced all the walls to make sure that no predators can get in, and I put in a lot of hay because it's freezing out. I would keep her in if not for my family threatening to have a chicken dinner. Can I try and send her back to the flock tomorrow after putting some of the Blue Kote on? See seemed awfully unhappy that she wasn't with her friends when I put her outside.

Yes,you can get blue kote at tractorsupply.

Be careful when you use it because it stains everything just like pen ink. I Have a hen that gets her tail feathers pulled and butt pecked who I spray with blue kote. It doesn't stop the others from picking on her but covers the red so they don't just keep going at the wounds. It's also antiseptic so it's healing for the wound.

My picked on hen has learned when it's okay to come out to eat and whe it's time to run away and hide. It's sad to see she can't be part of the flock but I'm always hopeful that someday they'll all adjust.

Back
Top Bottom