HELP, my hen is lethargic, not eating & drinking, green poop

Brienna

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Quebec, Canada
My 3 year old hen has been feeling off for the past three weeks. It was kind of on and off, some days she seemed great and some days not so much. Now, it's worse than ever. She hasn't been feeling well for the past 5 days and there has been no improvement.
She was one of our best layers (an egg every day and hardly ever skipped a day) and she stopped laying completely 2 months ago. Since then, she doesn't eat very much and since saturday, barely.
Her poop is small, watery and green. Her comb is bright red and her vent looks normal.
We have access to a vet but they are pretty clueless when it comes to chickens. We can't bring her to the clinic, only talk on the phone and whatever the symptoms are they always tell us to give her a vitamin mix with penicillin. She's been on this since saturday but since she's not getting any better they told us to try another antibiotic (tetracycline). We started it in her water today but since she's not drinking much I will give it to her with a syringe.
I'm at a loss and can't figure out what's wrong.
Any ideas?
- There are no symptoms of any respiratory issues.
- She was wormed recently.
Here are some pictures of her poop today:
IMG_4703.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4698.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG

Hi, I have had this problem in the past.Since she has been on antibiotics you need to make sure she getting them consistanly by the syringe,125mg.Chickens need extra calcium as they get older as well as protein.When my chickens have gotten sick I have had to force feed them at least 3 days.I use applesauce and yogurt.There is a lot of information in these forums.I hope this helps

Hi, I have had this problem in the past.Since she has been on antibiotics you need to make sure she getting them consistanly by the syringe,125mg.Chickens need extra calcium as they get older as well as protein.When my chickens have gotten sick I have had to force feed them at least 3 days.I use applesauce and yogurt.There is a lot of information in these forums.I hope this helps

Thank you for your reply. Did your hens make it? did you figure out what they had??

Yes my hens have made it from the bacterial infection I have had better luck with the penicillin or anicillin.I have struggled keeping them parasite free,they are freerange.They can get secondary infections.I hope all is well your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom