HELP!! My hen is lethargic, shivering, and her head is falling

Update, after treating them with amoxicillin, one of my hens has begun to get better but the other one has sadly passed, she was an old lady and I guess her body couldn't take it.. I have kept my chickens in their coop for the past couple of days while I try to figure out what happened. I walked my yard and found remnants of RAT POISON so I will in fact be speaking to my neighbors about their placement of such nasty items.

Amoxicillin did help my hen recover along with lots of water, does that mean it was an illness and not the poison? Because if it was the poison, and I am in fact sending my deceased girl in for an autopsy, If it was in fact poison I will be going to court with my nasty neighbors.
I'm so sorry!💔

How horrible, what's wrong with people! 😡

I don't think amoxicillin would work for rat poison.

Update, after treating them with amoxicillin, one of my hens has begun to get better but the other one has sadly passed, she was an old lady and I guess her body couldn't take it.. I have kept my chickens in their coop for the past couple of days while I try to figure out what happened. I walked my yard and found remnants of RAT POISON so I will in fact be speaking to my neighbors about their placement of such nasty items.

Amoxicillin did help my hen recover along with lots of water, does that mean it was an illness and not the poison? Because if it was the poison, and I am in fact sending my deceased girl in for an autopsy, If it was in fact poison I will be going to court with my nasty neighbors.
I'm sorry for your loss.

It would be a very good idea to send the body for necropsy so you can learn more.

I'm glad the other one is recovering.

She's eating and drinking a bit on her own now. My only issue is her bum has become so dirty and caked from being completely stationary for the past couple of days that it seems like she can't defecate properly, should I trim off the feathers on the bottom or should I attempt to bathe her?

She's eating and drinking a bit on her own now. My only issue is her bum has become so dirty and caked from being completely stationary for the past couple of days that it seems like she can't defecate properly, should I trim off the feathers on the bottom or should I attempt to bathe her?
Bath her and trim the fluff.

You'll want to keep her clean in warm weather, flies will be attracted and lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom