Help! My hen is not walking: possible Marek's?

Melissa Malone

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Coloma, California
Im trying to decide what I need to do with my poor hen. She is 12-13 Weeks and has been isolated from the rest for a week. She stoped walking a week ago after it looked like she hurt her foot. I treated for Bumble even though I didnt see any signs, Ive bee feeding her and she is eating and drinking but is isnt walking at all. Shes just laying down and not moving. Her crop is pale, (it was pretty red before when she was healthy). My other girls are completely fine and showing no symptoms at all. All my chicks were vaccinated for Mareks from Meyers Hatchery but everything Ive read says thats no guarantee.
Im wondering how long I should let her go on like this and if it is Mareks, should I just humanely put her down since there is no cure? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Here are some pics of her sitting in the brooder

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.57.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.57.09 AM.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.57.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.57.02 AM.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 18
Im trying to decide what I need to do with my poor hen. She is 12-13 Weeks and has been isolated from the rest for a week. She stoped walking a week ago after it looked like she hurt her foot. I treated for Bumble even though I didnt see any signs, Ive bee feeding her and she is eating and drinking but is isnt walking at all. Shes just laying down and not moving. Her crop is pale, (it was pretty red before when she was healthy). My other girls are completely fine and showing no symptoms at all. All my chicks were vaccinated for Mareks from Meyers Hatchery but everything Ive read says thats no guarantee.
Im wondering how long I should let her go on like this and if it is Mareks, should I just humanely put her down since there is no cure? Any advice is very much appreciated.
  • When did you last deworm your chickens?
  • Did you check them for lice and poultry mites, as well as the coop?
  • The seemingly injured foot: does it feel warmer than the other?
  • Can you feel her entire leg up to her hip to determine if there is something out of place/warmer than the other healthy side?

Heres a healthy pic of her from a week and a half ago. Hard to tell from the pictures of her sick but her crop is pale and wilted

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.00.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.00.58 AM.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 19
I havent wormed in a while but I will do that
Her foot feels normal and i did feel all the way up and dont feel anything out of place or dislocated
and i did check for mites/ and lice and havent seen anything

I forgot to mention my girls are not free range due to many predators in the area and I do have DE in their run and in their food so I guess actually they have been wormed from that?

Please post a picture of the complete bird from the siede and another from the front showing the entire body including legs and feet.

Does it have feathered feet?

Back
Top Bottom