Help! My Hen is sick!!!

Pics

sahensle

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Texas
I went out to the cooptoday and I noticed my youngest hen laying on the ground. She wouldn’t move for food or when I called her. When I picked her up I put her on her feet and she wouldn’t move from that position. I looked for mites, lice, bound egg, cuts etc...... I found nothing. She looks like she is in a daze. Her comb is a little pale and her breathing is a little labored. I gave her a warm bath and also put electrolytes in the water. Which I had to force her to drink. I tried to give her food and treats and she did not take either. I also separated her from the flock because I noticed they started to peck at her. Any advice would help. Thank you!

Do you have any dogs in your neighborhood? Sometimes my chickens will get attacked and only have a few feathers pulled out but be extremely scared
They exhibit the same symptoms as your chicken

It sounds like she MAY be feeling horrible due to possibly a glitch in the egg laying parts.
I would offer her some calcium first thing in the morning to see if it will help her to pass an egg.
Can you bring her inside and put her in a dog kennel so you can monitor her water intake and watch her poops better?

Would scrambled eggs be ok?
I have her in a small isolated coop outside. I can monitor her well in it.
Ok great...
Yes you can try an egg to see if she will eat it.
But for calcium, I'm talking about a human calcium supplement pill or even a Tums tablet.

Back
Top Bottom