HELP!! My hen was bitten by a possum on her upper neck

Thank you. I am going to try to clean it now. I have a few of those ointments so that should be good.

H.

I know chickens can't get rabies, but every time I give her water she gets a little foamy at her beak. Would you happen to know why?
H.

Quote:
possum very very very hardly hardly ever ever ever have rabies its like 1 in 10 million can even get it , they can get it its just very hard for them too something bout there body temp. is to low

Every time we try to give her a little water she foams at her beak. I know that chickens don't get rabies, but it is kind of worrying me.
H.

Quote:
Since it happens when you try to give her water, it may be that some water is going down into her trachea (windpipe) instead of her esophagus. Try giving the water more slowly, and allow her time to swallow between sips. The foaming could also be a sign of stress, possibly from shock or pain. Keep her warm and let her rest in a quiet place, and then watch her. Hopefully, she'll calm down and start to improve.

Another good way to make sure it is not going down her windpipe...just give her a couple drops at a time. I know it will be a pain in the neck and time consuming, but her throat is probably sore so she does not or cannot swallow a lot at one time...do it by drops so she stays calm. You can drop it on her beak...towards one side so it rolls down towards the lower beak...she may drink it herself that way or put a drop or two right inside the tip of her beak.

Poor girl probably hurts and is scared too.

Back
Top Bottom