HELP!! My hen was bitten by a possum on her upper neck

Purpledandilion

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Two nights ago my hen was attacked by a possum. She seems to be fine, but hasn't been eating, drinking, or acting like herself. I am a little worried. The wound is right under the face area, right where her neck starts. If anyone has advice please let me know soon!

Thanks.

Did you happen to see the possum? Was it acting funny? They ARE rabies carriers, you know. Also, which side of her neck? Is it near her crop?

Jen

Wash the area very well. Check what is actaully damaged. If it tore open her throat then she may not be able to eat and will most likely not survive unless you take her to a Vet(expensive).

If the internals of the throat are not damaged then cover with an antiseptic ointment. I use 3-in-1. Any will work as long as it does NOT have pain killer in it. That can be toxic to chickens.

You need to get her eating, even if you have to force feed her.

A couple years ago I found Sammy(standard cochin) being drug across the henhouse floor. The Possum had Sam's head in it's mouth just a tugging along. His head swelled to the size of a tennis ball. We force fed him for a week before the swelling went down enough that he could see and eat on his own. His head and wounds were washed twice a day and covered in 3in1. He recovered.

Matt

Thank you! What should I wash it with? It isn't a deep wound, it just bit maybe an inch into her skin. Should I feed her anything special?

Quote:
Rabies is a mammal disease... chickens can't get it. Infection, however, is a serious concern; so be sure to thoroughly cleanse the wound and force her to eat if you have to. The area is probably sore, which could prevent her from wanting to eat properly.

Quote:
I would wash with plain warm water. Then flush with peroxide(once) and rince with the water again. Gently dab dry and apply the ointment. After the first time do not use the peroxide. Once it starts healing it can damage fresh healing.

Keeping her eating is really important. Like was said, she is probably really sore and not wanting to eat. Food will help keep her immune system up so that she can heal.

Matt

Thank you SO much! What did you feed your chicken? I am not sure I would be able to feed her the laying pellets.

H.

Sam got apple sauce mixed with starter grower. Thin at first and syringed(no needle with opening widened) in below the top of the trachea. After a couple days it was mixed thick enough to make pea size balls and pushed them in past the trachea. You have to get past that trachea so they don't inhale it into their lungs. If that happens they are finished.

Also his water had poultry viatmins and nutrients in it. He got a syringe(3CC) of that after we got a teaspoon of food in him. He was fed every 2 hours during the day. Not enough to maintain weight, but kept him alive and healing.

Kind of messy but it worked for Sam and last year for Caramel, a bantam that got attacked by a hawk.

Matt

If you can get some betadine to rinse the wound with that and warm water you are better off. Peroxide will destroy good tissue if it is not rinsed thoroughly or left behind. As you want the tissue to heal, it is best not to risk damaging the healthy tissue. If you use peroxide, dilute it heavily and rinse the wound several times with the diluted solution.

Use can use neosporin or any triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliver...if it has any pain reliver in it, especially any ingredient with "caine" in the name do not use it. Avoi camphors also. Corona salve is good and safe, bagbalm mxed with the triple antibiotic ointment is a good mixture too.

Drinking is ubber important....if need be put some powdered electrolytes or watered down gatorade in the water...force it if need be. Just watch the trachea when syringing. You can crushed his regular food and mix ith applesauce and water to make is soupy.

Goo luck with her and I hope she recovers well.

Back
Top Bottom