Help me save a old hen

choopes

Songster
13 Years
Nov 4, 2010
my farm South Alabama
She is my oldest. In fact the mother of 2 other white Brama hens. She survived a possum attacks. But can not walk. It hurts her to walk. I can't feel any broken bones. I can't get her to eat or drink. What can I do? Anyone else would have made stew of her, but I'm not that way. Has anyone had any experience with penicillin with a chicken? Any suggestions?
The worst of it is, this last attack also killed my goose i have had for over 14 years now.

She is an old girl, as hens go. More then 2 or 3 years. Also the mother of the rooster, 2 roosters ago. She won't eat or drink. If i don't do something, she will fade. I have her in the sunshine, and take her inside at night.

Attachments

• hen.jpeg
    hen.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 7
Thank you.
Attack was night before last.
Do you mean down her throat?
If you simply use a syringe or eye dropper and a small dribble just inside her beak, she should take it in. Don't do too much because she could aspirate. Do it on the side of the crop. Do this several times and hopefully she will want more and get it herself.

This will help the shock factor. Once she is drinking, giving her a yummy treat (eggs are good) will help her to get back to eating drinking. Most chickens love the feed as a mash - add water and let it get soft and mushy.

Great suggestion! I have all ready got 3 syringes of water in her. I have food and water in front of her.
Let me tell you about my situation. Sorry for not covering this. I am in a small town. It is New Years weekend. I have found many bird antibiotics on line, but I don't think she will survive the length of time it will take to get it here. Does anyone know of a product I can get at tractor supply that will help me sick , and lethargic hen?
Thank you

You don’t think she will survive because..? Does she have any open wounds? If not antibiotics are not necessary. If it is because she is not eating then I would suggest bottle feeding. And if you don’t feel comfortably doing so we can walk you through it.

She is my oldest. In fact the mother of 2 other white Brama hens. She survived a possum attacks. But can not walk. It hurts her to walk. I can't feel any broken bones. I can't get her to eat or drink. What can I do? Anyone else would have made stew of her, but I'm not that way. Has anyone had any experience with penicillin with a chicken? Any suggestions?
The worst of it is, this last attack also killed my goose i have had for over 14 years now.

She is an old girl, as hens go. More then 2 or 3 years.

She won't eat or drink.
I have food and water in front of her.
Work her through shock first, give her drops of sugar water or electrolytes, once she's able to start drinking some on her own, introduce her normal feed wet or dry or tidbits of scrambled egg.

Do you see any wounds on her? Have you examined her for punctures, missing skin, tears, bleeding, etc.?

I see she's in a tub with food/water on the floor, but I don't think she can reach those by herself can she? If she can't, then you'll need to hold the water up to her to see if she will drink on her own.

Back
Top Bottom