Possible punctured crop + possible broken leg (?)

lunaschicks216

Hatching
Jan 24, 2024
I've recently had a bobcat attack on my coop and am currently worried for one of my injured chickens. She was scratched along the chest, my mother and I have examined her multiple times and my mom believes that the hen possibly has a punctured crop. There is no open wound on the outside and yet the hen hardly eats unless she is force fed softened pellets, she's still drinking water just fine. Her leg is also giving her more and more troubles and she refuses to stand anymore to which causes my mother to believe it could have been broken in the attack. I'm getting more worried as the days go on, my mom said she won't take her to the vet. Does anyone have any home doctoring advice?

:welcome

Can you post a picture of your hen and her possible injuries? She may not be eating due to shock or the pain from her leg. On her crop, move her feathers around and look for any bruising (it will either be purple or green). On her leg, run your fingers along her leg, thigh, and into her joints. (Compare with other leg.) You're feeling her bones for any breaks or swelling. Watch her reactions while you do this, as that can sometimes point where the injury is.

What day did the attack occur?

:welcome

Can you post a picture of your hen and her possible injuries? She may not be eating due to shock or the pain from her leg. On her crop, move her feathers around and look for any bruising (it will either be purple or green). On her leg, run your fingers along her leg, thigh, and into her joints. (Compare with other leg.) You're feeling her bones for any breaks or swelling. Watch her reactions while you do this, as that can sometimes point where the injury is.

What day did the attack occur?
The first picture is my hen, the second is of her chest injury, and the third provided is the medicine stuff that my mom and I have been applying to her and the other two injured hens. There is bruising of course. I've checked her legs earlier on (exactly the way you had explained) when I noticed she could no longer tolerate standing. She only stretches it so far before pulling it back in towards her to relieve the stress on it, most of the swelling is in her joint and not at her thigh or leg itself.
I've also noticed that her right lung may possibly be swelling (side seen in the first picture with ruffled up feathers) but it's not something I'm positive about. There is no bruising on her back so I'm not sure if the swelling there could be from her crop or her leg.

The attack was Friday evening when we were out of town

Attachments

• IMG_20240124_183858584.jpg
    IMG_20240124_183858584.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240124_183718641.jpg
    IMG_20240124_183718641.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240124_183759594.jpg
    IMG_20240124_183759594.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 14
The first picture is my hen, the second is of her chest injury, and the third provided is the medicine stuff that my mom and I have been applying to her and the other two injured hens. There is bruising of course. I've checked her legs earlier on (exactly the way you had explained) when I noticed she could no longer tolerate standing. She only stretches it so far before pulling it back in towards her to relieve the stress on it, most of the swelling is in her joint and not at her thigh or leg itself.
I've also noticed that her right lung may possibly be swelling (side seen in the first picture with ruffled up feathers) but it's not something I'm positive about. There is no bruising on her back so I'm not sure if the swelling there could be from her crop or her leg.

The attack was Friday evening when we were out of town
It's hard to see her chest with that stuff on it. Have you cleaned her chest at all? (With open wounds, it should be cleaned 2-3 a day.) Can you move her leg out then in while you listen to her joint? (Have someone help you do this so you can get your ear close to her joint. Be careful that she doesn't scratch you!) If she doesn't allow you to do this, do not force. You're listening to any indication that it is broken. When she brings in her leg, does she curl her toes?
I looked at that picture, and that looks normal. Chickens' lungs are near their backs, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

It's hard to see her chest with that stuff on it. Have you cleaned her chest at all? (With open wounds, it should be cleaned 2-3 a day.) Can you move her leg out then in while you listen to her joint? (Have someone help you do this so you can get your ear close to her joint. Be careful that she doesn't scratch you!) If she doesn't allow you to do this, do not force. You're listening to any indication that it is broken. When she brings in her leg, does she curl her toes?
I looked at that picture, and that looks normal. Chickens' lungs are near their backs, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

We have cleaned her chest multiple times since we've brought her in to be doctored on, we simply put the medicine on and leave it until its time to clean it again.
She does indeed curl her toes whenever she brings her leg in. As for the rest, ill need to wait for my mom to get home to help before I can give an accurate answer as whether there's any popping in her joint. I'll attempt to get a clear picture the next time we clean her chest as well.

We have cleaned her chest multiple times since we've brought her in to be doctored on, we simply put the medicine on and leave it until its time to clean it again.
She does indeed curl her toes whenever she brings her leg in. As for the rest, ill need to wait for my mom to get home to help before I can give an accurate answer as whether there's any popping in her joint. I'll attempt to get a clear picture the next time we clean her chest as well.
Does she peck at the medicine at all? If there's no open wounds, you might be able to do without the medicine.
How about when she puts her leg out? Is she always keeping her toes curled, or does she ever have her toes out? (If she's moving her toes, that's a good sign.)

Does she peck at the medicine at all? If there's no open wounds, you might be able to do without the medicine.
How about when she puts her leg out? Is she always keeping her toes curled, or does she ever have her toes out? (If she's moving her toes, that's a good sign.)

She doesn't peck at the medicine at all, one of my other injured chickens did however so we had to separate the one pecking the medicine from the other two. The main open wounds on her were a few scratches along her chest but the official problem is an area of clumped skin.
No, she doesn't always have them curled, only when she pulls her leg back in from being examined. Could it simply be badly sprained if not broken? Either way she's still hardly putting pressure on it, even as she's laying down.

Here, I found a post on treating a chicken for shock for you. (Your girl might be in shock, that's why I'm bringing it up.) I quoted the step for treating shock instead of giving you the actual link, as the thread had some graphic pictures.

Here's the shock treatment quote:
1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

She doesn't peck at the medicine at all, one of my other injured chickens did however so we had to separate the one pecking the medicine from the other two. The main open wounds on her were a few scratches along her chest but the official problem is an area of clumped skin.
No, she doesn't always have them curled, only when she pulls her leg back in from being examined. Could it simply be badly sprained if not broken? Either way she's still hardly putting pressure on it, even as she's laying down.
That's good then. On the clumped skin, is it the crop? If she's not filling it, that might be what you're feeling.
That is very good if she's doing that. Yes, it could be badly sprained, which is better than a break. I would still listen to it if you can, but it's not as necessary.

Here, this might be an option for your girl to help her stay off that leg while it heals:

Post in thread '20-month Silkie can't walk, one leg seems fine' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...walk-one-leg-seems-fine.1603148/post-27282099

Post in thread 'Versions of "chick chairs" PLEASE!' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/post-18356950

That's good then. On the clumped skin, is it the crop? If she's not filling it, that might be what you're feeling.
That is very good if she's doing that. Yes, it could be badly sprained, which is better than a break. I would still listen to it if you can, but it's not as necessary.

Here, this might be an option for your girl to help her stay off that leg while it heals:

Post in thread '20-month Silkie can't walk, one leg seems fine' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...walk-one-leg-seems-fine.1603148/post-27282099

Post in thread 'Versions of "chick chairs" PLEASE!' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/post-18356950
Respectfully, I am fully aware that she's in shock. Sadly, I don't have any Gatorade or baking soda on hand at this moment.
I'm not certain if it's her crop or not, my mom said that it most likely is the crop and I believed she was right since she's had more experience with them. I've looked up how to tell, with it not being an open wound but I've not been able to find anything useful. I'll still need to wait for my mom to get home before I can listen for any popping noise in her leg.

Back
Top Bottom