Neck Injury? Hen not Extending Neck After Possible Attack

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
UPDATE:
I gave her electrolyte water in a dropper and she began to drink that readily. I decided to make her some oatmeal and see if she would eat that. I placed it higher up, at chest level so she could eat easier. For about two hours she just stood in place eating the oatmeal. I made it a little soupy and used some electrolyte water to make it wetter. This way I could make sure she was getting hydrated and food at the same time.
I believe her crop is okay currently. I tried to examine her body for wounds. At the moment she does have some minor abrasions on her left leg. She won't let me extend her left wing. I tried lifting it up and extending it out and she struggles and runs off. Maybe it's broken or sprained? I couldn't spot any wounds on her body. No blood or anything. So perhaps if something did get her it didn't pierce the skin but possibly caused internal trauma.
During the feeding she did begin to extend her neck forward. She also tilted her head and extended her neck a bit to get the water nipple. I decided to raise the water container higher to allow her easier access. After feeding she did seem a bit more perky. She also started being able to scratch her head with her leg. She wasn't able to this morning. She also did make a few pecks at the ground after feeding.
At the moment she is sticking right up against me or her sister hen. Literally pressed up against us.
I cleaned out the coop today. Added extra shavings in the coop for a bit more insulation. Also added a ton of straw in the hiding spot under the coop to give her a comfortable safe space to be. I also added extra straw for insulation in the nesting boxes in case she wants to sit in there.
She does seem to be doing a little better. Here's hoping she has a full recovery. I grabbed some honey from my parents as well.

Short story is my hens were possibly attacked by (most likely) a fox. 2 went missing and one returned. We then had storms and tornadoes go through while the other two were missing somewhere in the woods. I live just outside Clarksville, TN. Yesterday morning Chives turned back up. She was all puffed in a ball and very lethargic. I returned her to the coop and she got on the perch, which is only about a foot off the coop floor. This morning I go to check on her and she's in the run sitting in the sunlight. I noticed she isn't extending her neck. Also her chest is super puffed out. She tried scratching her head, but couldn't seem to extend her neck to reach. She's not pecking or going for the food.
She doesn't have any visible wounds, no blood, doesn't seem to be missing feathers. She looks very lethargic still. I'm wondering if they did get attacked by a fox if they got her by the neck and injured her. Perhaps she was able to get away at some point? I don't think she'd be like this if she just got lost in the woods. Also possible it was a Hawk, but I'd think there'd be visible wounds on her body, not her neck.
Sadly I can't afford several hundred dollars for a vet visit, let alone x-rays and treatments for a busted neck. So I'm unsure what to do with her other than let her be, give her some water.
I'm thinking if she can't extend her neck she can't get her food from her crop into her stomach and that is leading to an impacted crop. Any advice from experienced chicken wranglers?
PXL_20231211_151623208.jpg
PXL_20231210_184839418.jpg

Last edited:
She is probably still in shock from running/hiding/storms, etc. Treat her for that. Give electrolytes, if you don't have that, sugar water will do (search this site for formula). She needs to drink, first and foremost. After she is taking the sugar water try to entice her to eat with something yummy like an egg (mine like poached, most will eat scrambled).

What does her neck feel like?
Can you feel her crop, anything in it?
I believe her crop is kind of hard. But I'm not sure if it's the crop I'm feeling or just her chest. I just got back from the Co-op and picked up some syringes to get her the electrolyte water. I mixed some up just before the storms because I knew it was going to get cold out. I picked up some food and held it to her beak and she pecked two or 3 times, but ignored it after that. I'll take a look at the sugar water recipe.
Thanks

She may be in shock. Shock can cause partial paralysis of body parts as well as lethargy. The treatment is electrolytes with added sugar as @MarlaMac advised. Shock can kill, so don't procrastinate.

Don't depend on a simple visual of her from a distance. Give her a close physical exam, parting the feathers to look for injuries, especially puncture wounds. These will need to be treated if you find any, and if punctures are present, an antibiotic.

She may be in shock. Shock can cause partial paralysis of body parts as well as lethargy. The treatment is electrolytes with added sugar as @MarlaMac advised. Shock can kill, so don't procrastinate.

Don't depend on a simple visual of her from a distance. Give her a close physical exam, parting the feathers to look for injuries, especially puncture wounds. These will need to be treated if you find any, and if punctures are present, an antibiotic.
I am giving her electrolyte water right now in a dropper and examining her in the sun. She does have some scrapes on her legs so far. Just very minor abrasions. I was worried to handle her too much, but I'm about to give her a good once over.

Does her chest feel like it is full of air under the skin? Can you distinguish her crop from the other area, and how does her crop feel?
I had to research chicken anatomy again to remember where the crop was. I was up higher on her chest. After looking at a diagram I believe it is lower down. If that's the case then her crop was empty. I believe this is what's going on. Her neck is curled up like an s and I'm feeling her throat in the more hard spot. The crop in this photo is empty and lower down.
If that's the case then her crop is okay currently.

Feel some other crops to see if the others feel like hers. Normally they should fill up during the day, then feel empty by the next morning before eating or drinking. I would try to offer some watery chicken feed mush and a little scrambled egg to see if she will eat. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom