Help my hens are dying

useer1009

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
My hens have an deseas and ist spreading! It starts with swollen eyes and the half face is swollen. Then it sound like they have a coff and snore a lot. They are also sneezing. Then they just die! I have put some hens that seems healthy in an separate cage and it's only 8 hens left of 29! Then there is thin moma hen that seems unhealthy but she has 4 chicks. We puted them to a non broody hen (she have had chicks before) and she is kinds so she won't hurt them. She don't see herself as the mother but she don't minds them cuddling up next to her to keep warm.. What shall we do? And what is it?

It's a VERY serious resperatory disease!, there's no way of knowing which one without testing...Have you purchased new birds recently?, I whould IMEDIATLY remove all the birds that are healthy looking and that haven't come into contact with the sick ones as FAR away as you possibly can.Don't handle the sick birds and try to do the minimum like quickly giving them some feed or water ect. Always deal with your healthy flock first then take care of any sick ones and have a shower including washing your hair EVERY time you've been around the sick ones. I recomend very strongly that you take the next bird that dies in to be tested at your state lab as this sounds serious and you need to know what's going on. This is the reason I personally whould NEVER buy any bird from anyone EVER

Thank u for helping. We are going to send one in to the lab to try to find answers. I hope the other ones that seems healthy survives :/ it's so sad that so many have died

I'm very sorry this is happening to you but since you're hens are dying I whould try to save the remaining healthy birds and not try to doctor the sick as you'll just infect everyone else if you do, my uneducated guess whould be some sort of very vurtulent form of mycoplazma could be happening hear but you need to find out what this is! , please practice bio security, if you have to go buy feed ect please think of others and spray the bottoms of your shoes with lysol, virkron or ect and a fresh change of clothing and refrain from visiting friends with poultry or pet birds

I hope at least some of you're birds don't contract this, wishing you the best and yes it's very very sad and it's the reason I don't buy anybody else's birds and always purchase hatching eggs from reliable sellers or certified hatcheries as you never know what someone else's birds could have and it's just not worth the risk, I mean if you buy a bird from someone you're entire flock is at risk because every place the person went, like to every fair, farmers market, auction ect you have just brought all thease germs to your fock and you're at the mercy of it all, just NOT worth it to me

Back
Top Bottom