HELP!!! My hens really bad off!!!

So I believe my hen is egg bound all day yester day she was very off then she was just standing in the nest box I went in there to lock them up and she was still in there. I brought her in gave her a bath with epsom salts and then blow dried her and put her on the roost this morning she’s the same! I know I should give her calcium but which way is the best way? She’s looking really really bad!!!
I think you can stuff calcium tabs down her throat. Hot baths, frequently. A little massage? My Beakie was in a terrible way in September. Lay around, no eating/drinking/pooing/laying. Nothing, also pale. After three days of baths, I took her to the vet who said palliative care, she probably has cancer, she’ll be toes up in a few days. I took her home and made her a cozy nest. Next day she popped right up, gobbled and drank and has been fine ever since. 😱🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I think you can stuff calcium tabs down her throat. Hot baths, frequently. A little massage? My Beakie was in a terrible way in September. Lay around, no eating/drinking/pooing/laying. Nothing, also pale. After three days of baths, I took her to the vet who said palliative care, she probably has cancer, she’ll be toes up in a few days. I took her home and made her a cozy nest. Next day she popped right up, gobbled and drank and has been fine ever since. 😱🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Oh I lost her 😞

Is she still alive. I had a problem similar with my chicken a year ago. It was sick for 2 days and the 3rd she was gone. But she wasn’t the healthiest hen having featherless neck due to our dog always fighting her. And I was pretty much the only one looking after her. So she was unhealthy.

It's as I thought. You need to ignore the serving size. Your hen needs one tablet. That's how much is in one of those pills in that bottle. The serving size suggestion is only for humans, and it isn't based on anything other than to sell more of the product.

Let me explain further. Supplement manufacturers are required by law to state clearly on the front of the label what the strength of each pill is. In this bottle the label says it's 630mg. Now, all bets are off when they get to printing the back label. they can say what they want. Most supplement manufacturers will "suggest" you take twice or three times the amount a human body really needs. Why? To make more profit, of course. That's the reason they're manufacturing the supplement. In fact, too much calcium is very hard on the kidneys, animal or human. Why they are allowed to get away with suggesting so much is another whole discussion.

A hen in reproductive crisis needs around 600mg per day as long as she's in crisis. As soon as the crisis ends, unless thin shell or shell-less eggs are a pattern, no more calcium tablets should be given. If there's evidence the crisis was caused by poor calcium levels, then we continue giving the calcium tablets for another week or two. Kidney stones can result with too much calcium over a long period.
YIKES that is wildly incorrect. If the bottle says a serving is 630 and is two pills, each pill is 315. Now, if the label says one serving is 300% of your daily need of calcium, then yes, the serving itself is probably an oversell for a human looking to supplement their calcium.

I believe it should be fine as long as it is a healthy hen as I said was not healthy and another reason for mine passing is because where we left it over night. Take good care of it and it should live.

Is she still alive. I had a problem similar with my chicken a year ago. It was sick for 2 days and the 3rd she was gone. But she wasn’t the healthiest hen having featherless neck due to our dog always fighting her. And I was pretty much the only one looking after her. So she was unhealthy.
No I lost her on the 4th or 3rd day. She was always healthy and happy it was extremely hard losing her I wonder what went wrong?

Back
Top Bottom