Help! My incubator dropped to 93 degrees last night!!!

Chick a dee1023

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hi. My name is Melissa. We got our 4 kids 3 runner duck eggs from a farm yesterday (they were under a broody for about 2 weeks and in an incubator for a day before we got them), the incubator was doing great all weekend while i kept an eye on it (its home made in a styrofoam cooler). It did great while i watched it yesterday too, but my room got pretty cold overnight and the incubator temp dropped to 93 degrees :'( Are they dead?????? I have the only 3 runners she had that were fertile so I can't even replace them so my kids don't realize what happened :'( PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me they are ok (it was 7 hours since I checked on them, so i think they were like that for about 3-4 hours or so). Sorry for rambling lol, I'm just really nervous, It's my first time incubating and our first ducks ever. We have our first chicks also, we got day olds (don't know what breed yet) a week ago (they were a week old yesterday <3 ). Thanks for any info anyone can give!

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
They should be fine. If they were indeed viable, such a slight drop in temperature for a relatively short period of time will have little effect upon them. Good luck. Do your best to stabilize temperatures from here on.

Last edited:

Chick a dee1023

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you! We candled them last night and could see the babies moving inside of the eggs (that was really exciting lol) so hopefully they are good and held up to the drop
fl.gif
I read that the humidity needs to be between 55-70%, mine sticks right around mid-high 60's, is that ok at approx 2 weeks incubation or should I try to get it down a bit until a little further into incubation? Thanks again
wee.gif

shicks0211

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Orlando Florida
I think the humidity is fine..then when they pip (you'll see the little beaks up in the top of the egg on the inside when you candle them..and you'll actually be able to hear them peeping in there..they you may want to raise the humidity just a tad and lock it down..no more turning once you see that (it will happen around 25 or 26 days..give or take) and then just watch..once you see that you'll have babies in a couple days..and don't help them hatch..even when it looks like they're struggling and so tired..Good luck and have fun!!

Chick a dee1023

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you so much!! I'm so glad my babies should be ok lol.
yesss.gif
I'll be sure to lock it down once they pip. Oh, how often should i candle to check on them?? Sorry for so many questions, we are new to this
smile.png

Top Bottom