Help my Lavender SILKIE is in Trouble.

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
He is in the new coop and was very socialable, when I go in there i would sit on the ground and sure enough my Lavender would come right up to me and peck at ..... oh anything on me. he's sooo funny and yet yesterday I noticed something not right. he was very distant from the others, he's lost a lot of weight, he doesn't talk as much as he use to. I gave him some polyvisol and vitamin E and checked his butt. When i found him he was in this army position, like he was trying to poop, but he did, most of it stuck to he butt feathers, we so trimmed them off. Well then I saw something sticking out of his butt. I know this is going to sound extremely grose, but I grabbed the end of it and this very long piece of grass came out covered with brown poop. At first I thought omg you poor thing, perhaps you'll feel better now. NOT, today he's still the same, in a corner, puffed up like a ball, not very socialable. So I brought him in the house,as I was carring him I dropped something on the ground, when I went to pick it up, this yellow fluid came out of his mouth. I felt his crop and it is very squooshy.. There no food what so ever just lots of fluids, so I have been massaging it like every couple of hours.. when i do more fluids come out not a lot just a couple of drops. he doesnt smell... What his going on with him. I was thinking perhaps some grass is stuck in is crop or something?? ANY ADVICE would be greatful. HES MY ONLY LAVENDER...

I had one of my chicks kind of act this way after I gave them some grass clippings, I went to check on her one morning and she was laying with her beak in a puddle of yellow fluids. I haven't been able to find anything on the web about it :( . Best of luck
fl.gif

yek, I'm pretty sure the grass has something to do with it but now the question is how do you solve the problem.. He went poop only it was white and very runny... I"m hoping someone has a solution..

OK I flipped the Silkie over and he threw up a lot. But what came out of him I'm hoping was the problem, he had Straw in his Crop.. There was 1 piece about 1in and half long and another piece about 1/2 inch long. OMG. So I'm watching him now to see if he improves or feels somewhat better. He's my only lavender so I'm determine to try anything to get him better and I figured emptying his crop may be the first best thing for him. He did do a little bit of talking after we got done but boy was it gross... I don't think chickens can digest Straw can they?

Lacrystol, the straw was almost definitely the culprit here, They cannot digest straw and often time gets lodged and causes a lot of pain for the poor birds too. If not removed it would cause a blockage, lead to sour crop and eventually death.
You're lucky you seem to have gotten the mass out of his crop. I would keep an eye on food intake and poop output to make sure its going through him. Try giving him a little plain yogurt to combat the sour crop that was setting in, it will replenish the good bacteria that he needs in his crop. Best of luck!

Well I just checked on him again and he's got his crop full of water again. It was completely empty and now it's all squooshy and larger then before.. I will check on him in the morning to see if it empties, if not, we will tip him upside down again and see if we can get more straw out of him. OMG, I can't beleive it. out of all the chickens NOT the ONLY lavender...

Well thank you, I just can't say much right now but welcome to the site, there's usually a lot of informative information, but apparently I wasn't able to get a whole lot of help this time around.... i guess it's just one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom