Help!! My little mini batham usnt acting right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamabearsz99, Jan 20, 2015.

1. My hen has been panting since last nite and has a small amount of slimy discharge that just started last nite. They are 3 yr old mini batham( not totally sure what breed they are but they are maybe 5--6 inches tall and have been very healthy. They were raised in the house but go outside during the day( I gave done this their whole life for their safty from NITE time critters since my chickens are so small). Last nite I noticed one was panting with a small amount of dischargeso we thought she was laying just very late for the day. But this am when I checked on them my little girl is still panting and no egg. It's not hot and we don't tend to keep our house too warm, I even tryed turning off their heat lamp to see if she was just hot. But nothing has helped. I live in a area where we don't have a vet or in the next town either after the 1vet we had retired. Does anyone know why she is acting this way! She is still eating and they always have fresh water in front of them. My little girls are Diddle and squat is there anything I can do to help her Plz?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Have you checked her for egg binding? Put on a latex glove and some vaseline or KY-jelly on the index finger and insert it into her vent straight back. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it right there or within the first 2 inches.

If there is an egg in there lube up her vent area really really good. Sometimes this moves a stuck egg. If it still won't move, bring her inside the house and fill up your kitchen sink with warm water. Not too hot, but warm. Soak her lower half in the water for 10 to 15 mins. Give her some sort of calcium. Liquid, or a couple crushed up Tums, (put the pieces in raisins if she won't eat it) even yogurt. But something with calcium. This will help move the egg out.

Here is an article on egg binding and how to treat and prevent it from happening...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

If she is egg bound, don't wait. Work on her quick as egg binding can kill them.

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by