Help my little white leg horn comb is limp, she is acting different

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
Hello all I live in florida, when I went out to check on my chickens her comb was hanging. she was acting a little different. It was cold
but not freezing. I covered the coop, thinking her comp got frost bit. She stopped laying about 2 weeks ago. My other chickens just started laying again after a few months. One did not lay for 3 months. I had them on a protein diet, now because the other girls started laying I am mixing the protein with organic pellets. Her comb is still red but hanging, what can I do. Please need a suggestion.

Leghorn hens' combs are supposed to flop over, just like most other Mediterranean breed hens.
If my big combed leghorns, anconas, minorcas and penedesenca hens don't get frostbitten in our Missouri winters, then I can't imagine it happening in Florida.
It is 16F right now and has gotten down to -19F. My huge coop windows are wide open.
Closing it up increases humidity. Humidity and warmth contribute to disease and frostbite.

Uncover the coop and give them some fresh air.
What did the protein diet consist of? What was the percentage? What form of protein are you adding? Don't your layer pellets have at least 16% protein? That should be sufficient if not molting or breeding.

Last edited:
I never seen that before, it always stood up. We now have a large fenced in yard I will just open the door. Yes it does have 16% protein. She has not laid a few weeks . I was told on this sight they should not eat layers pellets, the other chickens are laying so I am mixing the two. Thank you so much for your quick response.

No need to feel foolish. I grew up with flocks of 100 white leghorn hens. Then, more recently I had black leghorns and several other Mediterranean breeds.

How old is she?

Last edited:
There is something wrong with her she's just acting different this morning I went out there and she's all fluffed up and she's always energetic she's only about 2 years old, I actually went and bought some chicken vitamins for her for the chickens and I put some liquid in a blueberry which she loves blueberries comma didn't give her too many just a couple

Sorry I should have put all this in one paragraph. But also she hasn't laid in a couple weeks. My other hands did that one hand did it for a Godly about 4-5 months and I checked it out read about it

With those symptoms, there are just too many things it could be to speculate.

I don't know if you saw this in my first post because you responded when I was editing and added this.

If my big combed leghorns, anconas, minorcas and penedesenca hens don't get frostbitten in our Missouri winters, then I can't imagine it happening in Florida.
It is 16F right now and has gotten down to -19F. My huge coop windows are wide open and stay open all winter.
Closing it up increases humidity. Humidity and warmth contribute to disease and frostbite.

They coop is wide-open I covered up when it gets freezing but there still air going through it and we have a large backyard that I open up the coop and they run around all day long. I was told with her symptoms that could be a sour crop. I was looking up how to correct that with a lot of water massaging her crop

Back
Top Bottom