Help my neighbor said my chickens are being loud :(

Pics

MIgardengal

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Way UP north MI
Hi you all, I have had my 6 hens for about 8 months. I got a call tonight from my neighbor (who up to till the last few months hasn’t minded them) her house is about 70 ft from my coop. The issue is the “egg song”. I have one hen that has a pretty awful egg song, and she is a loud mouth. When she starts to go, they all start to holler.

I can have chickens as long as they aren’t a “nuisance”. So now my anxiety is ramping up! How do I get them to quiet down? Is there a way I can get them to lay at a better time they would be shut in the coop? Idk they have weird egg laying schedules. Sometimes in the AM some times at noon today at 4:00/5 at night when everyone is home trying to enjoy dinner 🙄

If there's a possible issue legally, then I agree, remove the loudmouth, and hope it helps.
If there's no chance that the neighbor can make trouble for your flock, it might still be a good idea to let her know that you've removed the one bird she wasn't happy about.
Move to farm country, where chickens are legal regardless!
Mary

Some chickens are just loud compared to others.
It sounds like you have an ordinance about noise.
Your hen doesn't make the noise all day long and dogs and other animals can be worse.
I'm thinking she is having a bad day and needs something to complain about. Unfortunately, if you have an ordinance, she could cause the whole flock to be rehomed.

Thanks guys, yes we do have a noise ordinance, I live on the edge of a small rural city.

We are allowed 6 hens no roosters and they can’t be a “nuisance” (free ranging/or making lots of racket etc). The neighbor doesn’t mind when they cluck. But she hears one of them start screaming (egg song 🙄) and then the others join. I’m hoping to plant some more shrubs as a sound barrier, and maybe put up some wind chimes or something to drown them out.

Thanks guys, yes we do have a noise ordinance, I live on the edge of a small rural city.

We are allowed 6 hens no roosters and they can’t be a “nuisance” (free ranging/or making lots of racket etc). The neighbor doesn’t mind when they cluck. But she hears one of them start screaming (egg song 🙄) and then the others join. I’m hoping to plant some more shrubs as a sound barrier, and maybe put up some wind chimes or something to drown them out.
If nothing else explain the egg song and gift her with eggs! I mean you could have barking dogs!

Sound barriers are a good idea

When we started shopping for our new house that was always the question...... "any restrictions on chickens?" & "how many acres?"

Whatever route you decide to go I hope it works out for you. May be like a guy I work with. He hates chickens. Him- "They are noisy, stinky, poop everywhere, etc. No idea why anyone would want them..." but he buys chicken & quail eggs from me. Lol

Back
Top Bottom