Help! My New Chick is Still Sticky!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenKatie, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ChickenKatie

ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    I have a chick that just hatched about 16 hours ago, she was stuck in her shell, I had to help her out, I should have got to her sooner as she is completely coated in sticky hard yuck. I used a warm wet cloth to loosen her wings, as they were completely stuck to her body. But all her feathers are slicked down and no cloth will soften them. Should I bathe her, or just leave her alone. She's having trouble walking and I'm worried it's because she needs to be washed off. What should I do?? Help!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She is too small to get throughly wet. Keep cleaning her with a warm damp towel til she is clean. Slow and steady wins the race.

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I had one like that a couple of days ago. It was so bad its eyes were sealed shut and it was slicked down like it had elmers glue all over it. I bathed it in warm water with a tad of mild dish deterg, used a soft toothbrush to help get the dried goo off. I rinsed it well and towel dried it as best I could, then I put it back under the brooder light. It fluffed out shortly and is doing fine and is already in a new home. Just dont get it chilled, Dont get soap in its eyes and dont drown it by spraying its head with water.
    Take your time and be careful.

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I had 2 hatch out very sticky and got very stiff feathered yesterday. I did bathe them in a bowl of warm water-- and used a warm wet cloth to wipe down their faces, etc. Towel dried (well, wash cloth dried) them and held them at a distance while DD ran the blow drier on low ( and I rubbed and fluffed and turned the chick). It took less than 2 minutes to get them completely fluffed under the dryer and they kept very warm. Back in the brooder they went and they were much happier.
    I wasn't sure I should do it, but I had one that was really squawking and scratching at it's head-- I figured it was very uncomfortable and decided to go for it-- and it worked well.

Quote:

5. ChickenKatie

ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    thank you guys for the advise. I actually did end up bathing her with a tiny bit of baby soap. Worked like a charm! She's doing great!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by