Help! My peachicks are dying!

harriet3

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Help!

We are having trouble keeping our peachicks alive. I live on a hobby farm and our peahens hatch their chicks in the henhouse. By about 2 weeks old, the peachicks start to display signs of illness: lack of appetite, weakness, droopy wings. It almost looks like blackhead, but they continue to eat and drink (not robustly though). The symptoms seem to last a few days, then they die. I do notice slight diarrhea as well. Can anybody help?

Mia:(
sad.png

Thanks for responding....

Yes, they have warmth. They're being raised by their mothers - peahens. They sit on them and for the first few days we had a light hanging just in case because they are new mothers. We've lost another peachick yesterday.

Harriet 3

They need high, high protein food - I feed my baby peachicks dry cat food that has been chopped into crubmbles in the blender. Protein content of around 30% or even a bit higher is best for the little ones.

You may also need to add a supplement like avia charge or other poultry vitamins to their water.

When they aren't getting enough protein, they just sort of fade away.

Do you mean they are kept in the chicken hen house? I was told by Kev on here that it is very bad to keep the peafowl too close to ducks or chickens. The ducks and chickens deal with parasites that can be lethal to the peafowl. It is best for them to brood inside or outside in their own place not to close to the chickens.
hugs.gif
The other suggestions were also very good to make sure their feed has protein at least 24% or higher. Turkey feed or cat food. Not the same food as chickens. Also you could put some DE in their food bin to get rid of parasites.
:aww
Good luck
dixy

Last edited:
It also sounds like they could be dealing with coccidiosis which would account for the runny poops, hunched up fluffed look. Is there any blood at all in their poop? Also peachicks get worms VERY easily. If there is blood then treat for coccidiosis with sulmet in the water (there are other forms but can't think of them offhand) if there isn't any blood at ALL then I would treat for worms. Use Ivomec since it covers a broader range of parasites. Piperizine only covers roundworms.

Thanks for responding....

Yes, they have warmth. They're being raised by their mothers - peahens. They sit on them and for the first few days we had a light hanging just in case because they are new mothers. We've lost another peachick yesterday.

Harriet 3
they can die from overheating mama heat is fine no extra pls feed

Back
Top Bottom