help my pig is hurt but dont know what happened

gwnmrgnrt

Hatching
Dec 5, 2015
Hello, first time pig owner. This morning we heard our 100 lb barrow squealing loudly and Ent to check on him. He was clearly in pain and seemed to be having trouble with one or both hind legs. We removed our larger gilt from the pen thinking maybe she hurt him as they like t cuddle and she's twice his size. It's been several hours he doesn't seem to be in pain know but he is a little shaky and it seems like he'll try to get up but can't. He's very alert has taken water and gives me his belly to rub everytime I check on him but isn't interested in food and won't get up. No visible trauma, no swelling but gets agitated if I inspect his back legs. Could he have pulled something? Can a pg throw out their back? Any suggestions would be helpful. There's no indication that he's sick and he was lively and healthy last night. I should also add he's being raised for food and we already talked to the vet. I just want to know if he can get better or if there's anything I can do to help him. Thanks

My suggestion is that if he doesn't start improving very soon, process him.

Have you tried different foods? My pigs would go absolutely crazy for any dairy products If you are worried about him eating

Yes he has he's not interested in eating since the sqealing tho morning though
I meant, what has he been fed for these last few months?\
Has he been fed a commercial diet or mostly grains?
It sounds like a vitamin and/or mineral deficiency.

Last edited:
He gets a non GMO pig feed plus all sorts of veggie and fish scraps (fiance is a chef) his appetite is back 100% and he's been getting up just favoring one leg.

Back
Top Bottom