HELP! My polish hen is hurt

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
I came home to find my polish hen, Dolly and Cornelius my little banty roo under a section of iron fencing that fell over on top of them. I do not know how long they were under (it could have been as much as 6 hours). Cornelius is fine but Dolly can not walk. I have her in a dog kennel in the house with food and water. she is eating and drinking fine and she can turn herself around in the kennel. One of the legs sticks way out in front of her while the other stays underneath her. I put her leg under her and she sits for a bit but when I come back she is on her side with that leg out. It does not look broken. It has been about 4 days now and no improvement. Her eyes look good and she is alert.

Any Advise?

She cant stand up it is a small kennel but I was taking her out in the yard and sitting with her trying to get her to walk. So I won't do that for a while.

Agree with Angel...keep her immobilized for a few days but then put her in a larger area by herself so she can begin to exercise it.

The latest trend in orthopedic surgery is to begin physical therapy on the treatment limb within a few days of injury or surgery. Although I wouldn't have a clue how to do "chicken PT" she will begin to use it more and more as it heals.

Back
Top Bottom