HELP !!! MY PREG. DOG ATE >>>>>

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. Crazy4Chicks

    Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My total nut job boxer Abbey just ate half a choclate cake !! it was only a single layer cake not very big - it was my fault I had it on the kitchen table and she has been trying to eat EVERYTHING the past few days. will that chcolate make her sick? she is due to have her babies on the 15th !! I know chcolate is not good for dogs. what should I do??
    this dog is going to drive me crazy [​IMG] but I love her what can you do LOL

    Julie
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    I'd call your vet and see what he thinks.
     
  3. jeaucamom

    jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I know chocolate is supposed to make them sick and be very bad for them, but Duchess, the DEH's dog ate ALL the Christmas candy a few years back. I am talking 4 kids worth of stocking candy, and absolutely nothing happened to her. Hope your sweet Abby is okay and those sweet babies come out fine. Keep us posted.
     
  4. PurpleChicken

    PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

    11,744
    15
    321
    Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The effects of chocolate on dogs is cumulative. If this was her 10th time
    doing it I'd be concerned. They really need to eat a lot over time to do
    damage.

    Check out: http://www.petnutritioninfo.com/chocolate.htm
    Half
    a cake probably doesn't contain a high dose.
     
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  5. countyroad1330

    countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

    Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Don't know how long its been but call vet ASAP. If the vet thinks it was a large enough amount to be harmful, they can give her a shot that will make her throw it up.
     
  6. Redfeathers

    Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I know a dog...a chocolate lab even! that would open the fridge and eat everything...once ate a whole chocolate cake, a bag of chips and a tub of margarine. He was fine..but this is what I found on the internet as a guide....

    Toxic Levels

    The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

    On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

    Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

    Clinical Signs

    Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

    Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Restlessness
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea

    Treatment

    There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

    Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.
     
  7. Crazy4Chicks

    Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I called her vet before I had a chance to read all the post LOL

    This is the first and only time Abbey has had choclate in her life. and since it was only the icing that was choc. and not the whole cake he thinks she should be fine, just have to watch her and if she is not acting sick or throwing up I should not be worried, and of course she is still jumping around and acting like no big deal - i think she is looking for the other half of that cake ! dumb dog LOL

    here is " sweet " Abbey

    [​IMG]

    Julie
     
  8. helmstead

    helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    My dog Eddie's mother, Happy, ate a whole bag of M&Ms near her due date. My vet had me turkey baster 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide down her throat. I think she puked up everything she'd eaten for the last week, bless her heart. Worked though.
     
  9. snugglepup

    snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

    494
    2
    151
    Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'd be more concerned about pancreatitis or gastroenteritis.
     
  10. Crazy4Chicks

    Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    We kept an eye on Abbey all night - she sleeps in a crate near the bed and so far she seems fine - she has not showed any sick signs has not thrown up - is eating like a freakin pig today - my god I think she will pop !
    she looks a little bigger around the tummy today but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.
    she has been growling a little more toward the other dogs today - she has 9 more days to go !

    Julie
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by