Help! My pullet is walking backwards and gasping!

Marme

Songster
May 20, 2016
935249FB-83ED-4C90-809D-9D5FEB05F64B.jpeg
This afternoon when I went to clean out the brooder, one of my d’uccle pullets was acting funny and kinda getting run over by the bigger full sized chicks. So I took her out to check her over. She started gasping but not turning blue or anything. But now she acts like she can’t walk forward. She panics and walks/shuffles backwards and starts throwing her wings out. Then she sits down with her legs kinda splayed out. I don’t know what’s wrong with her! She has still groomed herself a bit today. Anyone have a diagnosis and something I can do to treat her??

View attachment 1888823 This afternoon when I went to clean out the brooder, one of my d’uccle pullets was acting funny and kinda getting run over by the bigger full sized chicks. So I took her out to check her over. She started gasping but not turning blue or anything. But now she acts like she can’t walk forward. She panics and walks/shuffles backwards and starts throwing her wings out. Then she sits down with her legs kinda splayed out. I don’t know what’s wrong with her! She has still groomed herself a bit today. Anyone have a diagnosis and something I can do to treat her??
Walking backwards can be a neurological symptom. I would try 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily to see if that helps.
The gasping is concerning, I would also check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's empty and take a look inside her beak to make sure there's no obstructions.

Is she able to drink well on her own?

She can drink but the gasping seems to be worse right after she’s drank water. I’m wondering if the other chicks trampled her. At one point one of them was standing on her neck. So I’m not sure if she was trampled and injured or if she was stepped on after because she was already hurt or sick.

She can drink but the gasping seems to be worse right after she’s drank water. I’m wondering if the other chicks trampled her. At one point one of them was standing on her neck. So I’m not sure if she was trampled and injured or if she was stepped on after because she was already hurt or sick.
How is she doing?

How is she doing?

Gasping is better. Still having a hard time using her right wing and leg. Eating and drinking fine and spirits still seem up. I’ve got her on cage rest and gave her the works. Vitamin b12, dewormed with safeguard, put ivermectin pour on on her, vitamins and probiotics in her water. I’m going to try and give her the week unless she gets worse.

Gasping is better. Still having a hard time using her right wing and leg. Eating and drinking fine and spirits still seem up. I’ve got her on cage rest and gave her the works. Vitamin b12, dewormed with safeguard, put ivermectin pour on on her, vitamins and probiotics in her water. I’m going to try and give her the week unless she gets worse.
Is her crop empty in the mornings?

Back
Top Bottom