HELP! My puppy ate an acorn

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jeaucamom, Nov 18, 2007.

  1. jeaucamom

    jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    [​IMG] I think they are poisonous, but not sure. Does anyone know anything???
     
  2. Rosalind

    Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 25, 2007
    No, they aren't poisonous AFAIK. It will probably come out the other end whole, though. I am assuming the acorn didn't get stuck in his throat and isn't likely to get stuck anywhere in between, though?

    My puppy has managed to eat dirt, pebbles, hay, grass, cat poop, acorns, walnuts, hickory nuts, all sorts of leaves and tree bark, deer poop, chicken feathers, chicken poop, layer pellets, birdseed, string, and glittery cat toys--despite being fed the most expensive organic holistic puppy food that can be purchased within ten miles of my house. All came out the other end uneventfully. Well, there was that one time a piece of hay got stuck in his rear and he tried to run away from his own behind, but apart from getting worms after eating the deer poop, he's fine.
     
  3. peeps7

    peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    My poodle ate my sisters friends glow-in-the-dark rubber frog one time, I found the frog a week later in our backyard. YUCK!!! Your pup should be fine, our American Bulldog has managed to eat books, hay, chicken poop, feathers, pond gunk, cat poop, shoes, dirt, cotton, sewage, leaves, stuff out in the woods, and many other disgusting things.
     
  4. jjthink

    jjthink Overrun With Chickens

    4,617
    20
    264
    Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The following sites list acorns as potentially toxic to dogs:

    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1684&articleid=1553

    http://www.dogpatch.org/doginfo/plants.html

    http://www.inch.com/~dogs/safety.html

    Whether ONE acorn would be a problem to a puppy I don't know. Small amounts of acorns can be okay in larger animals (cows, horses) but are toxic in larger doses. If you can call around to some vet's offices, they may be able to give you a sense of whether one acorn is enough to worry about. Also, if the pup is having digestive upset, that may be your answer in which case I would get him to a vet as they may need to do what they can to help the kidneys. Hopefully one little acorn will not cause this problem though and he will be just fine!

    JJ
     
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. silkieluvr

    silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

    944
    0
    159
    Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    My friends puppy ate her dads sock, and sure enough a few days later the sock was lying out in the back yard![​IMG]
     
  6. hcammack

    hcammack Overrun With Chickens

    8,976
    36
    303
    Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    The Meat of acorns is mildly toxic it has alot of tanin in it but hopefuly the stomach will not digest through the hard outer shell. I make acor flour and all you have to do is boil the tanin out.

    Henry
     
  7. dragonchick

    dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    260
    0
    139
    Sep 30, 2007
    Our Malamute has managed to eat and poop out every leather collar, nylon collar, and nylon leash he can find. We find the pieces later in the yard. He will ingest all but the buckles and clips. 6ft leash was gone in record time. We had been putting the leashes on a hanger by the door and has accused the kids of not putting it back. The dog was getting them down and eating it. So far he has eaten 2 leashes and 3 collars, plus various backpack straps and belts. Now he has a chain collar and leash that he has not managed to eat. No problems were caused by the ingestion with the exception of the pieces in the yard picked up by the lawnmower.
    Andi
     
  8. Badhbh

    Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

    806
    0
    159
    Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    A neighbor had a puppy that snuck into the bedroom and ate a pair of pantyhose. A couple of days later, the neighbor flipped out and panicked, because he thought the dogs intestines were prolapsed.
    It was just the hose coming out the other end.
    Ewwwwww. [​IMG]
     
  9. Rebeccahorse

    Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

    99
    0
    39
    Jul 10, 2007
    it should be fine. our dog swallowed a rock once. never had any adverse reactions.
     
  10. picklespickles

    picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 27, 2007
    i agree with the tannin comment. you can actually use them as medicine for cuts because of it. i wouldn't worry.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by