Help! My Quail might be sick. (GRAPHIC PHOTO WARNING⚠️)

She may have a hard time pooping is she's got an egg on the way.

You gave her calcium today? If not, then I'd get Calcium into her.

Giving her a little coconut oil daily can help with constipation. For Quail, I'd give 1/2 teaspoon daily. You can mix it in a bit of feed or just give her small hardened chunks to goggle down. Once she tastes it, she'll probably just eat it on her own.
I don't have any coconut oil.
She's started doing really wierd poop, with a pinkish liquid surrounding it and what looks like egg membranes. They sometimes also have white liquid, you know the type some birds have in their poop?
I'm getting really worried. She's not eating her favourite treat dusted with calcium anymore. She ate lots this morning, though.
She is sleeping a lot more than usual.
I'm really worried.

This doesn't sound good. Can you gently feed around her vent to see if you can feel an egg? If there's a broken egg in there, she needs a vet or someone who knows how to remove it.

I really think you should separate her and keep her cage covered for a few days so she gets some rest from laying. Separating here will also let you see exactly how much she's eating and drinking and how much she's pooping. She will also be able to rest better if she's not on wire.

I don't have any coconut oil.
She's started doing really wierd poop, with a pinkish liquid surrounding it and what looks like egg membranes. They sometimes also have white liquid, you know the type some birds have in their poop?
I'm getting really worried. She's not eating her favourite treat dusted with calcium anymore. She ate lots this morning, though.
She is sleeping a lot more than usual.
I'm really worried.
Photos of the poop and what looks like egg membranes? Pinkish liquid in the poop sounds like blood.

When she was prolapsed previously, did the exposed tissue bleed or tear? The egg came free o.k.
She retracted the tissue on her own or did you have to help by pushing it back in?

Are you just dusting food with Calcium but how much is she actually getting or are you giving her Calcium directly? She needs to actually take in the calcium.
I know you may be tired of seeing people mention it and perhaps you don't understand the importance of Calcium when it comes to laying, retention, prolapses, etc.
I give my Quail hens Calcium Citrate weekly.

Work on hydration, get the calcium into her. She may have infection by now, hard to know. Do you have any antibiotics on hand, if you do, what do you have?

Photos of the poop and what looks like egg membranes? Pinkish liquid in the poop sounds like blood.
I only took photos of one of the poops. The others looked different, this one just was really chunky. The others are normal-ish poop that just have light pink liquid around it.
PXL_20230704_012609661.jpg

When she was prolapsed previously, did the exposed tissue bleed or tear? The egg came free o.k.
She retracted the tissue on her own or did you have to help by pushing it back in?
She did it on her own, I only helped with getting the shelless egg out. The prolapse didn't bleed, but some of her feathers that touched it got blood on it.
Are you just dusting food with Calcium but how much is she actually getting or are you giving her Calcium directly? She needs to actually take in the calcium.
I know you may be tired of seeing people mention it and perhaps you don't understand the importance of Calcium when it comes to laying, retention, prolapses, etc.
I give my Quail hens Calcium Citrate weekly.

Work on hydration, get the calcium into her. She may have infection by now, hard to know. Do you have any antibiotics on hand, if you do, what do you have?
When it first happened I put chlorsig ointment on it as it was retracting. That's all I have. She's been drinking normally and calcium is dusted on her food. She also has extra on her shell grit and I've been feeding her 2 mealworms a day dipped partially in calcium to make sure she is getting enough.
I used to find it annoying when people reminded me that they needed a crazy amount of calcium, but now after this happening I know how important it really is.

I only took photos of one of the poops. The others looked different, this one just was really chunky. The others are normal-ish poop that just have light pink liquid around it.
View attachment 3566034

She did it on her own, I only helped with getting the shelless egg out. The prolapse didn't bleed, but some of her feathers that touched it got blood on it.

When it first happened I put chlorsig ointment on it as it was retracting. That's all I have. She's been drinking normally and calcium is dusted on her food. She also has extra on her shell grit and I've been feeding her 2 mealworms a day dipped partially in calcium to make sure she is getting enough.
I used to find it annoying when people reminded me that they needed a crazy amount of calcium, but now after this happening I know how important it really is.
What they eat is extremely important. You are learning first hand just how important.

That looks like a bit of blood in her poop. After the prolapse that isn't really a surprise. How is she doing now? Do you have her in a quiet place to allow her to recover in peace?

This doesn't sound good. Can you gently feed around her vent to see if you can feel an egg? If there's a broken egg in there, she needs a vet or someone who knows how to remove it.
I'll try it, but there aren't any vets that take quail for quite a while, and it's really expensive to get something like a bird checked.
I really think you should separate her and keep her cage covered for a few days so she gets some rest from laying. Separating here will also let you see exactly how much she's eating and drinking and how much she's pooping.
She has been with her friends since she hatched and they have never been separated. Won't doing this just stress her out? She is struggling to poop but still does it, just in bigger quantities and less.
She will also be able to rest better if she's not on wire.
She has another layer of her cage to go to that has a solid bottom and a dark, quiet room with a dust bath she likes to hang out in.

It looks like blood to me as well.
Is she straining to poop?

I'd say she's probably having trouble laying another egg, hopefully she will be able to expel it.
If she's with the others, make sure they don't pick at her vent.

Back
Top Bottom