Help! My Quail might be sick. (GRAPHIC PHOTO WARNING⚠️)

I'm a new-ish quail owner and yesterday morning my favourite quail (George) had a prolapse and was egg bound. The egg was shelless and it was her first egg.
View attachment 3563997
Ended up giving Epsom salt bath. Got egg out, prolapse receded itself within about 2 hours. Put a bit of chlorsig cream on it to try preventing infection.
This all happened between 7:30 am - 10:00 am.

Gave another warm epsom salt bath today as she showed symptoms of being egg bound. Seemed to enjoy it. Relaxed alot and did 2 very strange poos.
Didn't get a photo.
Always puffed up now, eating and drinking ok.

After the initial prolapse I went out and got bird/reptile calcium powder. Added it to shell grit, food, and gave her a few mealworms dusted with it to make sure she was getting enough. Today when I thought she was egg bound (her poop was just stuck) I gave her a water bottle cap of water with a bit of calcium powder mixed in. The poor baby is just standing there like this struggling to poop and hasn't laid an egg since the initial prolapse/egg bound catastrophe.
View attachment 3564049

Info about the quail:
Breed: Japanese Jumbo/ Coturnix
Species: Quail
Colour: Silver
Usual behaviour: crazy little cannonball running around, extremely friendly.
Diet: Mix of Gamebird starter and chick starter dusted with calcium + Shell grit and barley seeds dusted with calcium + dried mealworms (treat only)
Symptoms: sometimes acting normally, sometimes standing still, puffed up, eyes closed, straining. Strange poos, will go into description if requested. Can't get a proper photo. Seems to be pooping less and struggling to do so. Vomited twice yesterday while eating, looked like grounded up poo, was rather thick.

George is known for being a female that asserts dominance by humping things, but hasn't humped anything since the prolapse yesterday morning 🙁
It hurts me to see my baby like this. I saved her when she was a baby after she almost got shrink wrapped. She's a walking miracle.
I don't have any electrolyte water to give her. Please help, I want to know what's wrong with her and how I can help. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 3564050View attachment 3564051View attachment 3564054View attachment 3564082View attachment 3564055
OH NO!!! Poor George. Goodness, I already love this little quail after seeing the chicken nugget post! Go to Tractor Supply and buy some Nutri-Drench. We had a baby chick that hatched, and then started dying. It was gasping, and its pupils didn't move. We gave it a drop of Nutri-Drench, and in 10 minutes, it was a healthy chick in the brooder with the others! Buy this and give George a cc of it. IT is okay if you accidentally overdose him. It won't hurt him. I will also say some prayers for him!

OH NO!!! Poor George. Goodness, I already love this little quail after seeing the chicken nugget post! Go to Tractor Supply and buy some Nutri-Drench. We had a baby chick that hatched, and then started dying. It was gasping, and its pupils didn't move. We gave it a drop of Nutri-Drench, and in 10 minutes, it was a healthy chick in the brooder with the others! Buy this and give George a cc of it. IT is okay if you accidentally overdose him. It won't hurt him. I will also say some prayers for him!
She's ok now, lays good quality eggs daily. I give her lots of calcium dusted treats.

Had a chicken with the same issue, first egg she produced was a double and she couldn't get it out of her, prolapsed and I brought her to the vet. Vet helped me get it out and I brought her home same day, next morning same problem another double- brought her to the vet again! This happened four or five times, she kept prolapsing, my vet and I decided it would be a good idea to put her on birdie birth control until her body healed. Maybe you should try on your birdy baby?

Had a chicken with the same issue, first egg she produced was a double and she couldn't get it out of her, prolapsed and I brought her to the vet. Vet helped me get it out and I brought her home same day, next morning same problem another double- brought her to the vet again! This happened four or five times, she kept prolapsing, my vet and I decided it would be a good idea to put her on birdie birth control until her body healed. Maybe you should try on your birdy baby?
She hasn't had this problem since. This thread is kind of old.
I wouldn't have enough money for that anyways.
Birdie baby is doing great! She's my best layer, still lays an egg no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom