Help! My Rabbit...

Rabbit testicals are a strange thing. One, they are located above the penis, not below, as in most animals. Two, They are usually most prominent during the spring/summer months. (Mating season) and harder to find otherwise.

Their privates look so similar, that it's difficult to sex them unless you really know how & what to look for.

Thank you all for helping! I did finally find a picture. My little girls are boys...
lau.gif

So, I'm not really sure what we have. We have four rabbits. I do know that two are boys for sure. Now...

This is so terribly funny! Well, they are well fed, housed, and loved. Doesn't really matter what they are.
celebrate.gif

So, my Chica is now a Chico and Alexia...will have to get a new name. I do hope that Miss Martha is still a girl and I am afraid that the one boy we thought we had...is now a girl.

How funny!
lau.gif
gig.gif
clap.gif

Don't worry about it! The same thing happened to me. I got a 'male' rabbit from someone who assured me it was a male. I never bothered to sex it myself.

Every time I placed it with a female, it would 'mate' the female...yet there were never babies. It took me a good six months to realize it was just a dominant female. I never would have thought that a female would try to mate another female...but it happens.

Also, your males will soon begin to fight. Most especially if a female is present. You will have to seperate them. For fluffy little bunnies, they really rip each other up if given the chance.

And yes, they do spray and it's not nice! They don't spray like a cat does but kind of just flip their rear ends around, and if your in the way, well...
roll.png
. I finally gave away the male I had to a breeder. I guess you could get them neutered!

Well, instead of 3 girls and one boy...

We have 3 boys and one girl. I have some serious concerns about the people who sexed these rabbits. Good thing it doesn't really matter. The only one that was right from the beginning was the one the guy said he wasn't sure about but he guessed it was a female.

LOL
lau.gif

They are tough to sex when they're young, unless you're really good and I wouldn't trust a run-of-the-mill TSC employee with a task like that
wink.png
Sounds like they got the general idea, but got it backwards.

IMO bucks make better pets - the girls get too moody. Did you buy the rabbits strictly as pets or were you trying to start some backyard meat production?

Its not THAT hard to sex bunnies.....you just have to use your fingers to expose their genitals and if its got a slit that continues beyond what is exposed its a girl, if its just an opening that you can see all the edges of its a boy. Sometimes you'll get one with an opening that almost looks like a slit...but that's the only time I've had trouble.... **shrug** I think most people just don't know what to look for.

Many male rabbits definitely do spray....one reason its a good idea to neuter them fairly young if you're not planning on breeding. They will jump in the air, fling themselves around and pee as they are doing so.....amusing to watch if you don't get hit...but a pain to clean up after...

Every time I placed it with a female, it would 'mate' the female...yet there were never babies. It took me a good six months to realize it was just a dominant female. I never would have thought that a female would try to mate another female...but it happens.

Its not trying to mate...its just a typical dominant behavior that occurs in many species...including dogs. The action of mounting does not imply an intent to mate.​

I agree, most TSC employees are clueless and that is where your problem lies! When I asked our TSC employee, while looking at the new shipment of bantam chicks they had just got in, what breeds they had, she replied, "banty". I told her I knew they were bantam's, but did she know what breeds of bantams they got in? She replied, that was the breed, banty's. I politely informed her that "banty" or bantam was not a breed, but the size of the chicken and they come in all different breeds, just like full sized chickens. She was shocked and a bit skeptical I think, she had never heard of such a thing!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom