Help! My Roo just took a big chunk of flesh from the back of my hens head!

Acefit411

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Catskill, NY
New to all this.... I just put Neosporin on it. If it was my child ~ it would need about 10 stitches (NO KIDDING). What do I do, watch for next?

Wound on Hens head is the size of a ping pong.... I guess its safe to say that feathers will never grow there again! Should I just keep applying Neosporin to the site? What do I watch out for?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, I couldn't do this without all of you!!!
~a

Neosporin is good. Keep her confined away from the others. If you have blue-kote, use that on her before you return her to the flock after several days. Eat the rooster. You only need one for chicks anyway, and you could always buy fertile eggs for broody hens.

Separate hen until healed with the antibiotic cream applied, and sorry - rooster stew for supper. When I have one really mean to the hens......it's all over but the cryin' :)

Update:
My hen looks so much better today... I lost sleep last night, and up at 6am to move the birds around. Totally exhausted and my BF thinks i'm crazy...
I was talked into buying Vetericyn instead of the Blue-Kote by the sales person... she said that it's not messy and the wound spray will stay where you spray it (not drip). Can be used for all animals even humans ;)
Thank you everyone who responded :)

~a

Back
Top Bottom