Help! My rooster died!

sramelyk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Borden, IN
I started with 6 chicks in March.. 4 were killed when they were young by predators and before a proper coop. So, its been just 1 hen and 1 rooster for many months. She's been laying and they have been a happy little couple. He was pretty aggresive and I believed he had been keeping any smaller predators at bay. Tonight the hen was at my back door making all kinds of noise. Which at 10 oclock at night is very unusual for her to be out of the coop or at the back door. Anyways, the rooster was no where to be found. Even odder she never lets me hold her and she was more than happy for me to carry her around while I looked for Chicken Nugget.. Something got in the coop and got the egg she laid today and there are definitely rooster feathers. I didn't notice any blood. Everything is closed up and tight now. I'm at a loss as to what happened or what to do. I'm down to one hen. I feel so bad for her. Will she be ok alone?

Honestly, whatever got the roo will back within the week for her. So, before you get more birds to keep her company, secure your birds from predators. Some loss is acceptable when you free range, but I don't see advising you to get more birds without addressing the basic problem.

Honestly, they are secure. I've gotten lazy or felt secure myself.. Its been 4 months since I had predator issues so I've been leaving the coop door open. Basically for the last 4 months. Its my fault. They have a secure coop.

She will be lonely by herself but will be ok if kept safe, new chicks are not too far around the corner.. Try to get an idea with what kind of pred you are dealing with and see it you can trap it or dispatch it.. I will continue to come back. Sorry for the Loss.

Last edited:
I'm sure its a coon. I've trapped about 4 and relocated over the last few months. They never seemed to bother the chicks but were in my trash. The first 4 I lost when they were young was to a coon. The only other predators I've seen with my own eyes is opossum. If they are even a predator.. I hate it.. Does anyone know when tractor supply starts selling chicks?

Sorry for your loss. She will be lonely but you should tighten down the hatches before you add to your flock. Do you have a dog? I know mine seem to help keep unwanted visitors out. I would get another Roo as well. They love to protect the ladies :) I have left my girls out late too - it happens. Dont be to hard on yourself. There is a store in my area that has chicks year round but im sure that doesnt help you because im in Oregon :) Good luck in your search.

Woooo!!! Wow, I went out early this morning to better investigate the crime from last night. As soon as I opened the door there was Chicken Nugget perched on the coop as proud as ever. Maybe minus a few feathers... Man he is one tough son of a gun.. His aggression has always bothered me but I'm thankful for it last night. Whatever he fought he either won or it was a draw. Ultimately he protected his lady.. Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom