Help! My rooster is sick

LoveYourRoosters

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
Indiana, USA
I have a three year old rooster who was fine three days ago, yesterday I noticed he seemed a little puffed up, but thought it was just because it was a slightly cooler day. Today he is sitting very puffed up, lethargic, and has labored breathing. I tried to catch him, and he ran and was breathing very hard, almost gasping. He seems to have runny poo as well, though I only saw him poo once since I noticed his symptoms so I’m not sure. The rest of the flock seems to be acting normally
Edit:I forgot to add, after he was running I could hear him breathing from about 4 feet away, a wheezing sound. I can’t see any nasal discharge, but I will try to catch him tonight when it’s dark and get a better look at him
Here’s a picture
C57555A7-A09D-4F97-97EB-BCD81B8E7740.jpeg

He is usually a very high energy active rooster.
Please help

Last edited:
QUARANTINE HIM!!!! Incase he is really sick then he will get your other chickens sick. They might already have what ever he has since he is a roo but you should still quarantine him Incase the others don’t have it yet. You don’t want to loose your whole flock!

To me it sounds like a sickness. When he is quarantined give him food and water and monitor how much he eats and drinks. Then tell us. If he can still run from you he might still have a chance at fighting of whatever sickness he has.

My chickens have green poo when they eat a lot of weeds. I’m not sure if he ingested something poisonous and that’s why he is feeling sick or not.
I still recommend quarantine him.
You will be able to monitor him better aswell as keeping your other Chickens safer if it’s a virus. Here is a quote.
“Normal chicken poop can range from all shades of brown, to green, yellow or even black.”

I’m more concerned about the yellow goopy looking stuff in the pic. I need to know how much he is eating and drinking and about how active and vocal he is though before I can give you a better idea of what’s going on with him.

I caught him and separated him. He has food in his crop. Not sure if that’s a good thing? If I’m not wrong, green poo often means a bird hasn’t eaten much, so I hope he doesn’t have a crop that isn’t processing. I had a hen die once who’s body seemingly just shut down, stopped moving the crop
Definitely no nasal discharge yet. Thinking back the last few days, he has had a bit of purple cast to his comb, maybe indicating he hasn’t been getting enough oxygen?
The flock is usually free range but yesterday and today I’ve had them locked up. They have new straw in the coop and run, but it looked clean
I’m just trying to provide as much info as I can

Ok thank you. That is a lot of help I think you should see if his crop empty’s maybe by withholding food for a few hours. I’m not a vet but I’ve had my fair share of Chicken emergency’s.
Also he is SUPER cute.

I’m more concerned about the yellow goopy looking stuff in the pic. I need to know how much he is eating and drinking and about how active and vocal he is though before I can give you a better idea of what’s going on with him.
The yellow is the urates, and yes they look runnier than normal.
He is usually very vocal, he only crowed a few times yesterday. I can’t recall if I’ve heard him crow today, but he is definitely much more silent than is normal. He was walking around some, but VERY LITTLE compared his usual activity level.

Back
Top Bottom