Help! My rooster is wandering the neighborhood & it's 9pm!

WildflowerFour

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
It was a busy evening and I forgot to close up the coop. I heard my 3 chickens in the backyard. I was able to catch my 2 hens and get them back into the coop, but I couldn't catch the rooster. He's now 3 houses away and I can't catch him. Will he come back on his own? I closed up the coop, but left the run open. What else can I do?

When chickens are used to sleeping in a particular place, they generally go into that place on their own. If they're not "home" when it gets dark, they will roost where they are.

You might want to notify your neighbors that your rooster is out & about so they can help you keep an eye out for him. They wouldn't have to catch him but they could let you know his last whereabouts so you can pick him up.

Are your chickens new to their coop? I'm wondering if you haven't had them very long, and they aren't imprinted to the coop being their safe haven home. How big is it, and what does it have for roosts??

He's been in this coop since May and they go in every night, but I think something spooked them. He made it through the night and I tried to catch him in a neighbor's yard this morning, but he's very skittish. Will he come back to our yard on his own or do I need to set up a trap?

Back
Top Bottom