HELP my rooster won't let me near the hens!

Being that he is young I think that he is trying to establish dominance. Try carrying a stick or something that will help him learn that you are the ruler of the roost. He may get it or maybe not! If not then chicken noodle soup is where he may end up. If the neighbor brings the child, lock him up until they're gone.

I've had a couple roosters like him. The trick I used was to wear thick pants and tall boots and basically bully them everytime they got mean. It would eventually teach them I'm the boss and not them. Still I never felt comfortable turning my back on them. Imo there's only one solution most of the time for a bad rooster
Yea I've tried teaching him who's boss a good few times now, he seems to have established in his little brain that it's definitely him :/ unfortunately thick pants are really all I can wear around him as any time my bare legs are exposed he makes a beeline for them with those spurs, he's torn them up a couple of times now. I was really hoping to make things work but things aren't looking great for Eggs

My take on roosters, give him a chance. Desperate him if you must. Maybe he’s a great rooster, just wanting to protect his ladies. It’s spring time here, and my roosters get feisty too. (Doesn’t mean that I eat them) be patient.
dome chicken owners will hate me for my comment, so what!
Sorry for all the typos. My iPhone isn’t so good lately

Welcome!
Rehome only with full disclosure!!! He's dangerous, and can seriously injure someone, especially a child, in the face and eyes.
Making him 'safe' will always be relative, and he'll never be safe around children, and will challenge every new human he meets. This bird needs to be dinner for some family, if not yours.
In my experience, 'friendly' cockerels are actually just bold, sizing you up, and when they start maturing, they have no respect for you, and are determined to run the show. The cockerels who are more likely to turn out well are the birds concerned with their flockmates, and it also helps to have adult hens and roosters to teach them some humility as they grow up.
I think it's best to have your cockerels not handled and petted so much; make pets out of your pullets, not the boys.
The bottom line is, this bird will get worse, and you have small children visiting sometimes. How good is your liability insurance?!
Mary
A lot of very good points! I only handled him so much as a chick because I thought he was a hen all along- little did I know he was just finding all my weak points :lol: we always put Eggs away when the little girl visits but the last thing we wanna teach her is that chickens should be feared so removing him from the picture entirely might just be the best bet...

And I also hope that your tetanus booster is up to date!
He's a dangerous idiot who's attacking the giant who brings food every day, and when he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his hens at all.
For the future, think back on the behaviors he showed before they grew into actual attacks, so you can be more aware when you raise your next cockerels. It takes experience, which you are getting now, to know what these birds are thinking, before they act out.
Human aggression is both genetic and management driven, and you can't control his genetics, except to not add it to your flock's gene pool.
Mary

Your safety and little child safety is key!

no way, no how we would keep a boy like that.

we’ve had a few problem males, they are gone. We’ve also had very good males.

You will wonder WHY you waited to get rid of him once peace is restored. His aggression has become your new normal and you need your peace back.

Your safety and little child safety is key!

no way, no how we would keep a boy like that.

we’ve had a few problem males, they are gone. We’ve also had very good males.

You will wonder WHY you waited to get rid of him once peace is restored. His aggression has become your new normal and you need your peace back.
Thank you! I've only held onto him this long because I felt like I was giving up on him if I didn't try my hardest to make him friendlier but I guess I just have to accept that there are some things in life I can't change :hit

Back
Top Bottom