Help my rooster

Robynfait

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2021
Good morning. My poor little man rooster has developed this infection or something over night. We noticed it yesterday but only the size of a small pea and no blood. We thought maybe when a bobcat got into the coop he was trying to protect the hens? He’s very protective of our hens. But then today it was 20x the size. We checked the other hens snd they are ok (thinking mites) they are all eating good, laying eggs and energy is good. I have no idea what this could be or what to do. I did read that if it is mites to give the chickens garlic as mites don’t like garlic in the blood?! Any help would be great. We are new at having chickens. It’s been 9 months now and not one issue.

Attachments

• CA20DDC3-C013-448A-AA2E-D8A19E2C9D87.jpeg
    CA20DDC3-C013-448A-AA2E-D8A19E2C9D87.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • CB5B9CF4-E252-4D3B-9299-3D52E10E721B.jpeg
    CB5B9CF4-E252-4D3B-9299-3D52E10E721B.jpeg
    689.4 KB · Views: 11
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Can you bring him in and clean his injury and take better pictures with someone holding him for you? The pullets may have been pecking at that.
Garlic (and DE) will do nothing for mites if your birds have them. That injury is not from mites.

Good morning. My poor little man rooster has developed this infection or something over night. We noticed it yesterday but only the size of a small pea and no blood. We thought maybe when a bobcat got into the coop he was trying to protect the hens? He’s very protective of our hens. But then today it was 20x the size. We checked the other hens snd they are ok (thinking mites) they are all eating good, laying eggs and energy is good. I have no idea what this could be or what to do. I did read that if it is mites to give the chickens garlic as mites don’t like garlic in the blood?! Any help would be great. We are new at having chickens. It’s been 9 months now and not one issue.
In my experience, I'd say that he's getting picked on.
Do you have any more roosters, or suspicious hens?
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I have so many bare backed, bare rumped, and bald headed chickens.
My one cockerel has no tail thanks to the hens.

Back
Top Bottom