help my roosters legscales are stiking up

snowstar5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
my roosters leg scales are sticking up what should I do?
hit.gif

its been there for a week or two but any time I try to get him he runs away

O.K. here it is. They are called scaly leg mites.They live on the feet and shanks of chickens.The treatment is to coat the legs with petrolium jelly and to disenfect the coop.(This is from an article online but I have a book that I can find that probably has a better treatment.No harm in trying it though.)

my roosters leg scales are sticking up what should I do?
hit.gif

Scale leg mites burrow under the scales of a chicken’s legs, making the scales stick out and causing the miserable bird to walk around stiff legged. Since leg mites travel slowly from one bird to another, they may be controlled easily by brushing the perches monthly with a mixture of one part kerosene to two parts linseed oil (not motor oil) and at the same time coating each chicken’s legs with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

Older birds are more likely to be infected than younger birds and are difficult to treat because the mites burrow deeply. Soak the bird’s legs in warm soapy water, and gently scrape or rub off the softened dead scales, then smother the mites by coating the legs with petroleum jelly daily for 2 weeks or until the mites are gone.

Source: Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

Back
Top Bottom