Help! My roosters spur

Lillieschickens

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
My rooster attacked me and his spur was loose and bleeding. I panicked and did the wrong thing. I twisted off his spur and now it's bleeding like crazy. The quick is gone it broke off with the outer shell. I put blukote on it and wrapped it with a paper towel and Ducktape (that's all we had)he is now limping and I don't know what else to do. Can someone help me?

While I will defer t0o others more expert on this, I think you've made a good start based on what you had on hand. The tape is the most immediate concern.

Blu-kote, I understand, is primarily an antifungal. I'd be looking for a better means than duct tape to secure a covering on the wound, such as dermal tape, and swapping over to a broad spectrum anti--- like Neosporin for wound care. and I wouldn't panic - our little dinosaurs can survive far more serious injuries than what you've described.

While I will defer t0o others more expert on this, I think you've made a good start based on what you had on hand. The tape is the most immediate concern.

Blu-kote, I understand, is primarily an antifungal. I'd be looking for a better means than duct tape to secure a covering on the wound, such as dermal tape, and swapping over to a broad spectrum anti--- like Neosporin for wound care. and I wouldn't panic - our little dinosaurs can survive far more serious injuries than what you've described.
Thankyou. We are going to get vet wrap as soon as possible but the soonest we can get it is tomorrow so hopefully he will be ok tonight

Thankyou. We are going to get vet wrap as soon as possible but the soonest we can get it is tomorrow so hopefully he will be ok tonight
He doesn't have straight Ducktape. It has 2 layers of paper towel underneath but I still need to fix it. Will that be ok just for tonight?

My rooster attacked me and his spur was loose and bleeding. I panicked and did the wrong thing. I twisted off his spur and now it's bleeding like crazy. The quick is gone it broke off with the outer shell. I put blukote on it and wrapped it with a paper towel and Ducktape (that's all we had)he is now limping and I don't know what else to do. Can someone help me?
The rooster attacking should be considered a second problem.

Yes, I expect the wound will be fine. and in my flock, that rooster would have just used his one and only "freebie". The next time would not end so well for him.
We already butchered his brother for his anger issues but I have a special connection with this little boy so I'm allowing a few strikes for him

Back
Top Bottom