Help! My silkies are to hot, lost Curlie yesterday.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Noah'sMom, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Noah'sMom

Noah'sMom New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Does anyone know what I can do it's 109 today and I lost Curlie, very sweet silkie they're all panting very heavily, I thought about hosing them down but I don't want to make things worse.
    [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    They need a big fan and ice water.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    there are a number of things you can do- if possible use an extension cord and set up a fan in the coop or run (where ever they are hanging out) so that they get a good breeze, you should buy (if you don't have any) some gallons of water and freeze them- then put the frozen jugs out for the chickens to lean on and sit against. You can also put out shallow pans of water for them to stand in- might be good to go out and get all of them a little damp- dip their feet and bellies in water. Mist them down with a sprayer, and give them some frozen peas or berries if you have any. Hope this helps!

4. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    If you live in an area with dry heat, misters work well to cool them down, but not so much if you live somewhere that is already really humid.

5. Mama_hen

Mama_hen Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    My husband and I are going to make a home made frig, we have been looking into making things for the hens that would not need any power. Haven't made it yet but when I do I'll let you know if it works. We have a tarp covered area for the hens, so we are going to somewhat box that in. It's like a spa but much cooler. I hope this works......[​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I filled a big tub with cold water today and gently dunked each bird (not all the way under of course). Only one of them actually seemed to like it - my big buff orp. Our heat index was about 110 today. I know my dogs act like they feel cooler when I wet them down, so I figure it had to help the birds feel cooler [​IMG] Frozen blueberries, watermelon, ice water... DH told me he fully expected me to have the chickens in the kitchen when he came home.

I'm sorry about your Curlie [​IMG] I hope your chickens fare better tomorrow...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Our birds really like to wade in a shallow dish of cool water when it is hot. We have a mister on a timer to go off once an hour, too. That way it doesn't get too wet in the area, but still keeps it cool. I also freeze pie pans full of water and some treats to encourage them to peck for veggies or fruit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by