Help my silly chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reignsmom, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Reignsmom

Reignsmom New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    So my chickens have recently come to live with me rather than my parents because of the lovely crowing rooster. We built a run for them that is 9x12 and simply put the little coop they had at my parents house inside the run. Now they won't go into their coop at night. They instead roost on the top of they coop within the run. They haven't started laying but I am not sure how to get the silly things inside the coop to their nesting boxes. Help....

Secondly, any advice as to how to get the copious amounts of poo off their shingles, since now I can't tit either roof or all the poo falls into the coop? Thanks oh knowledgable BYC folks.

Mary[​IMG]

2. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Can you physically put them inside the coop and shut them in? It may be that the move has gotten them confused as to the routine, and they may have to be made to go to the right spot for a few days so that they remember.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Keep the food inside the coop.

After dark, put them into the coop. Chickens are somnolent in the dark and will be easy to move. You can just set them on the floor.

You could hose the poop off of the roof or wait until the next rain.

Chris

4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Put them into the coop at night. Only let them into the small run attached to the coop for the next 4-5 days. Then in the morning of the 4-5 day open te door into the larger run and put a light in the coop they should go back into the coop at night. When they are going in on their own you can discontinue the light. Turn it off after they have gone back in.:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by