Help!....My son wants a dog!

A good breeder will have expensive dogs. 1,000$ or more. You'll run into the same issues with a backyard breeder.

Not all dogs are bad at the shelters. I'd find one friendly from the start and not shy. Find a dog or puppy with a waggy tail and lots of licks on your hands and face. Looks should be last on your list. I learned that the hard way.

I absolutely love my poochies! I can't imagine life without them even with their issues!

The absolutely best dog I ever owned was from a 'backyard breeder'..granted he started breeding because he didn't like the way the breed was being changed..so, he had done his homework and bought great breeding material. I don't think that I will ever find a better dog and trust me, thousands of dollars later, I'm still trying. Rio was one of a kind and I thank that breeder still for the opportunity to own and be owned by that dog!
A good breeder will have expensive dogs. 1,000$ or more. You'll run into the same issues with a backyard breeder.
Not all dogs are bad at the shelters. I'd find one friendly from the start and not shy. Find a dog or puppy with a waggy tail and lots of licks on your hands and face. Looks should be last on your list. I learned that the hard way.
I absolutely love my poochies! I can't imagine life without them even with their issues!

I can't quote on this device, but I have not found the expensive necessarily equals good quality rule to be true for most any aspect of life, including animals. I find the most important thing is being aware of the traits you want, and dealing with honest people, wether for five dollars or 5,000.

I honestly think its ridiculous that some dogs cost more then a couple hundred dollars. I would never pay $1000 for any animal. We don't have that kind of money laying around.

Every dog is different and each has their own unique personality. My parents have shown dogs since they married 45 years ago and they did breed for years. Breeding became too expensive since they like small dogs and so many things go wrong.

I do agree not all backyard breeders are bad. My husband and I are talking about breeding Goldens in the future when our two that we have pass away. We will also do our homework before starting up.

Right now I'm looking into selling chicks. I found a breed I really like(true Amercauna's) and am hatching from two different lines. If both are very nice quality, I'll breed and start selling them. They are hard to find and chicks are in a high demand right now. Right now I'm only equipped to sell one breed and I must find a great temperament rooster that has show quality potential, same with the hens.

I like buying from shelters too. We rescued our Aussie. She and my current Golden Retriever(bought from a BYB) both have bad issues. My Golden Retriever hates children and my Aussie hates strangers, especially men. Both are superb protectors of our house and land.

Levin, my Golden Retriever is a large boy... weighing in at 117 lbs. But he is very mellow and easily controlled. When my younger nephew and niece come over (8 and 10) he promptly walks beside them all over the property. I had taught him... "walk beside me" when he was a pup so he automatically does that with anyone he is walking with. Bubba, on the other hand is just over a year, and for newfs supposing to be lazy dogs I think he has more energy than Levin. But the more mature he gets I have noticed that his favorite thing to do is lay around.

If in the future you if do decide upon getting a new pup, finding a breeder would be the way to go. You are able to observe the parents temperment, which is a good inclination on what the pup will be like (although there are exceptions to this).

Nicole, what you are describing doing is the opposite of a BYB. A byb doesn't care if the dogs are good examples of the breed. Or if they are healthy. Nothing except whether or not the public will fork over money for the puppies they produce.

The reason is that a responsibly bred dog is so expensive (I paid $1200 for mine) is that it is expensive to prove that a dog is healthy. For GSDs, for example, you want to have a bare minimum of OFA on hips/elbows. Depending on where you are, that could cost as much as $700. They also should have annual CERF (eye) exams. Another $100, depends on your area. Tests for working ability - $30 for each day of a trial you entered. That can add up to several thousand right there. Then there is the cost of the actual breeding itself - STD testing, progesterone testing, prenatal care, x-rays or ultrasounds to know how many pups you are expecting, stud fee, time off work to take care of the new mother and assist in delivery. Not to count the expense if something goes wrong. A c-section can cost several thousand dollars.

What some of us are saying is that not all BYB are irresponsible. There are many that get just as many tests done on their dogs as the big breeders. They just don't breed in the volume that others do. I have spent $300 for a dog and I've spent $1800. So far, the best dog that I have owned has been the $300 one. Just like in everything, price doesn't mean quality and a 'breeder' does not necessarily mean that you are getting quality. You must do research and know what you are looking for. My sister paid $800 for a puppy from a 'reputible' breeder...that puppy has had every medical problem that he could...my BRB dog? Healthy as a horse. You just can't make a blanket statement like that...BYB are not puppy mills.
Nicole, what you are describing doing is the opposite of a BYB. A byb doesn't care if the dogs are good examples of the breed. Or if they are healthy. Nothing except whether or not the public will fork over money for the puppies they produce.

The reason is that a responsibly bred dog is so expensive (I paid $1200 for mine) is that it is expensive to prove that a dog is healthy. For GSDs, for example, you want to have a bare minimum of OFA on hips/elbows. Depending on where you are, that could cost as much as $700. They also should have annual CERF (eye) exams. Another $100, depends on your area. Tests for working ability - $30 for each day of a trial you entered. That can add up to several thousand right there. Then there is the cost of the actual breeding itself - STD testing, progesterone testing, prenatal care, x-rays or ultrasounds to know how many pups you are expecting, stud fee, time off work to take care of the new mother and assist in delivery. Not to count the expense if something goes wrong. A c-section can cost several thousand dollars.

What some of us are saying is that not all BYB are irresponsible. There are many that get just as many tests done on their dogs as the big breeders. They just don't breed in the volume that others do. I have spent $300 for a dog and I've spent $1800. So far, the best dog that I have owned has been the $300 one. Just like in everything, price doesn't mean quality and a 'breeder' does not necessarily mean that you are getting quality. You must do research and know what you are looking for. My sister paid $800 for a puppy from a 'reputible' breeder...that puppy has had every medical problem that he could...my BRB dog? Healthy as a horse. You just can't make a blanket statement like that...BYB are not puppy mills.

It's a matter of semantics. In the usual definition of a BYB, it is someone who is only interested in money and who doesn't care about the health of their dogs. Sometimes, these people are disguised as "reputable" breeders and charge thousands for their dog. In others, they are obvious because of the dirty conditions and unhealthy dogs.

Someone who is a small operation, few dogs, cares about their health and their offspring more than the $$ they can make, is often referred to as a "hobby" breeder. They are doing it because they love the breed and want to produce the best dogs that they can. Volume doesn't make someone a good breeder and neither does the price. It is all in the actions.

Most big breeders are as bad or worse as puppy mills. They only have a good reputation because the public doesn't do the research to see through their smokescreen.

You are right...semantics. Everyone has their own definition. Just like, what do you consider a big breeder? Anyone that raises more than 2 - 3 litters a year, in my opinion is not doing it for the love of the breed..but, that is my opinion. That's why blanket statements should not be used.

yes, 2-3 litters a year is about the max that most people can handle. If you have your whole family involved and they have a love for the breed, maybe you could do more but not likely.

Back
Top Bottom