Help!....My son wants a dog!

Your doing the right thing. I hope you have a better experience next time.

You won't be able to be refunded, but given a credit for a new dog. The best dog to get is a happy one right from the start. Do not buy a pup that is shy or timid. You'll have the same issues.

Good luck!

They will refund the money..because it is within the 2 week trial period. But even if they wouldn't I would still take her back. IF she bit someone the medical bills or cost of being sued would be WAY MORE than $175.00, so I am cutting my losses. I hate to hear puppies snap alot....I have not had that experience. I am not certain that we will try again. IF we do, I do feel you are correct that I should look for an older dog. I am going to give my son some time to get over this, before we consider trying again.

I agree that she might not be the right dog with you. sadly, though, snapping is VERY normal puppy behavior to a certain point. It is how they communicate. Honestly, you should look into a slightly older dog that is past this stage.

I totally agree about getting an older dog. While your son may feel that puppies are "cute" and more entertaining and interesting than an older dog, he may have a better time bonding with a dog that is past the puppy stage. Personality traits will already be established so you won't have to wait and wonder, and an older dog has already learned how to correctly interact with humans vs. a puppy that still wants to play rough as puppies do with one another. It doesn't have to be an old, old dog - but I would look at about 9 months and up. You will be past the house-training and teething stages and have a dog that has enough attention span to really do some leash/obedience training. All of that will ultimately mean your son will bond more easily, than with a puppy.

I am so sorry this didn't work out for you but I do think you are making the right decision. Hopefully the shelter will be able to place her in a home without young children where she may be better suited.

It doesn't sound like a very good shelter environment, I have to say, but....I wouldn't have picked a beagle for a child. Or a JRT for that matter either. Honestly, if this were me, I would probably feel I had no choice but to return the dog to the shelter, but perhaps talk to the woman running it first and explain what you saw and ask if there is any way she can separate the pups from the adult dogs ASAP before they are all turned into non-adoptable dogs.

I wouldn't have a biter in the house period. Fear biter or not, biting is biting. My very first dog I begged my parents to let me get when I was a young teenager. She was a very protective dog and when the doorbell rang, it took one person physically restraining her before another could open the door. Ultimately she did bite - the neighbor's 3YO. Because we had a good relationship with us, they gave us a choice, rather than immediately report our dog to the authorities. We had the choice that we put the dog to sleep or face a lawsuit. Honestly, I couldn't blame them - why should their young children live in fear of our dog? So we had to put the dog - then about 2YO - to sleep.

Keeping a biter in the house is only asking for trouble. If not your son, then one of his friends is going to get bitten, and then you may be facing legal issues in addition to the medical. I'm sorry I'm not giving more positive advice, but as a mom, and someone who has had dogs all my life, and having read every one of your posts, that is my gut feeling.
I went back and read this post......this is EXACTLY what I am afraid of......Now that the dog is the returned, even though it was difficult, I do feel I made the right decision. Losing everything we have worked so hard for in a dog bite lawsuit IS NOT where I want my future to go. As I was returning the dog, the shelter lady did tell me that most puppies do in fact bite. I did not know this we have had dogs all my life, as a child we had several puppies (my parents did not spay and neuter the dogs) which is probably why I am such an advocate for spaying and neutering it can get out of control REALLY fast! But that is another subject....back to what I was saying....My husband and I have also raised 2 puppies, our first one was with us for 12 years and then we got Bella as a pup and she is now a little over a year old. NONE of them ever bit or threatened to bite. So this was all new to me.... How does anyone raise up a pup with children in the house if most of them bite ???????
idunno.gif

Anyway I am not looking for another dog right now.....I don't think we will.....my husband has said "I told you so", to the point I want to choke him!
barnie.gif

look up on teaching "bite inhibition" Puppies/dogs don't have hands - they explore the world with their mouths. Snapping is a further extension of that - she has learned no other way of expressing her fear or displeasure with something.
I am used to dealing with German Shepherd puppies. They are jokingly called "landsharks" because it's not uncommon to spend early puppyhood buying stock in bandaids and neosporin.

Usually, puppies learn bite inhibition from their mom and littermates. In this shelter environment, however, they are learning that biting is the only way to protect themselves. They have to put on a big show of fierceness to protect themselves. Some breeds are also more work when it comes to nipping. Herding breeds and terriers are two examples. It's not a matter of being a vicious dog - it's a training issue. Again, though, it can be difficult with small children in the home. Especially if the child is going to be the primary trainer.

I would go an entirely different route. Pick a dog breed that is a good match for your family and then contact breeders and rescue groups. Tell them that you are looking for a slightly older dog that is good with children. Possibly one that has some basic obedience. That way you are taking a lot of the guess work out of the equation. You are also making sure that you aren't supporting a bad shelter environment. I would be afraid that any animal from the original shelter could be a ticking time bomb.

There's a big difference in snapping and playful biting.

I have two big dogs that are bad tempered towards other people and strangers. :(. I decided to keep them and put them away when company arrives. We are building a 4 acre fence for them to roam around in. I have muzzles as well and I do use them if I do not put them away when company is here. This was a very hard choice to make.

I had a behaviorist at my house which cost a few hundred extra dollars. I work with my dogs almost daily, but they are NOT to be trusted.

This was my choice and our dogs do love our family, even our chickens. They protect our house and yard. This is why a fence is so important.

Last edited:
I have raised many puppies, yes, puppies use their mouths as hands but, I have never had a 'snapping' puppy. A 'snap' is not acceptable, ever. I raise Akitas...a dog you never want to start out with if it snaps! I would not keep a snapping puppy. I wouldn't care what the breed.

There are many loveable puppies out there! Keep looking, you will find the right one for your little boy :)

If you decide to try out another dog, may I suggest a Golden Retriever. They bond quite well with kids. My 3 year old Golden will wait at our 1/2 mile driveway for my youngest son to get home from school. I also have a newfoundland that bonds to any child he sees. My daughter in law who currently lives with us is pregnant and my newf will not leave her alone.. He knows somethings up. He insists on laying next to her at night and he is always checking to see if the baby is in the crib yet. I imagine both of my boys will forever be my grandson's protectors. I have added a picture of my boys.... Levin is my Golden and Bubba is my Newf..... They are wonderful, wouldn't trade them for the world!!!

I have raised many puppies, yes, puppies use their mouths as hands but, I have never had a 'snapping' puppy. A 'snap' is not acceptable, ever. I raise Akitas...a dog you never want to start out with if it snaps! I would not keep a snapping puppy. I wouldn't care what the breed.

that is true that there is a big difference. and snapping shouldn't be necessary for a puppy. It could be handled and dealt with - by teaching more appropriate behavior and giving time to adjust to a normal life. This shelter is a VERY bad place, especially for puppies. No matter when you decide to add another dog, I'd steer clear of this place.

Thank You all for the advice. I am not sure that we will try again....IF we do I will NOT go back to the shelter. I am going to find a breeder of the chosen breed and go from there. I think y'all are right, the dogs I am going to find at this shelter will most likely have compromised temperaments. I want to clarify, the puppy was NOT playful biting....she was snapping....a "I am going to bite your face off" snap (vocally) with a threat to bite. Unfortunately I made a bad choice and may have in fact ruined the opportunity for my son to have a dog. As far as my husband is concerned.
We will have to see what the future holds and go from there. I do think another dog for my Bella to play with would be a positive to having another dog. We play with her alot but she is not allowed to play bite or wrestle as she gets excited and gets a little rough. A dog for her to romp with would be a good situation for her as well.

@lil cheaps....Your dogs are so cute! I had originally thought about a golden ret. but I thought a dog of that size would be difficult for my son to control. However I would choose physical strength over bad temperament ANY DAY!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom