Help!! My turkey won't stand up!

fitz

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
Hi everyone, I've just started having turkeys in my backyard, I got a total of 3 one month olds...

They are white with the female being the bigger size of the species, the exact species name escapes me at the moment. Anyway, all the rest of the turkeys are doing fine except one, it's just sitting down and is unable to walk all of a sudden... not sure what's going on, we put food and water in front of it and it has no problems eating and drinking... does this sound familiar to anyone?

Please help!!

Thanks!

PS I'm in Southern California and it's getting kind of hot here, could heat affect the turkey as well?

Would the name of the variety be something like Broad Breasted ?

Have you picked up the turk (hold wings firmly against torso) and checked to see if it moves legs, can grip with toes (or toes curled)? What are you feeding them (protein %)?

If they have shade and plenty of fresh water the primary signs of overheating are panting and holding wings partially extended and held away from body.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!!

I believe that the variety is broad breasted, I see no signs of overheating because she/he is not panting. I did hold its wings and it did not move its legs... what's happening?! I'm very worried now...

With one person holding the turk, have the other person extend one leg at a time. Does the turk offer resistance, does the leg remain extended/`fold back up against body, any purposeful movements in either leg?

Swelling in joints: http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/tibial-dyschondroplasia-d18.html

`Knock-kneed'/bow-legged appearance: http://www.agbiosecurity.ca/healthy...e/Valgus Varus Leg Deformities in Poultry.pdf

You could try administering Polyvisol enfamil (without iron) 3 drops a day for a week (or poultry vitamins if available).

Broad Breasted turks are more prone to leg/hip problems than other varieties (genetically selected for rapid growth and the consequences that often entails).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am having something very similar issue, one of my BB turkeys is having an issue with its right leg. it has been using its wing as a crutch to move around, there is some swelling but no breaks. eating fine and drinking plenty.....could the feed I am using be too much? I am feeding 22% game bird feed. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for all your replies!!

My turkey does not appear to have swollen joints and although there is not much resistance, when I pulled on the leg it does return to the bent position. I can see that it's trying to stand, but still unable to, it is able to squat a little now... does this mean she's getting better?

I will go buy some vitamins to feed her as well as continue the diet for the chick feed. Would this be ok?

hi im aving the same problem with my white broad breasted turkey she is 3 months old will eat and drink and she`ll groom her self too but wont stand up im getting worried about and would b happy if som1 cud help me out .

BB turkeys are not designed to live long, their legs can't support the weight. I would suggest a lower protein diet to minimize weight gain (unless you plan to eat her). Then you may want to consider processing her to prevent her from getting breast sores from sitting on the ground too much. Genetics will determine if her joints can support her weight for how long.

I had a BBw tom and hen. The tom was unable to walk much after about 3 months and processed out at 40.5 lbs. Man was he tasty!! We still have the hen, I think she's over a yr old now.. As long as she can move about freely she can stay, but as soon as she cannot support herself, she will be off to freezer camp. I don't think it's fair to try to drag out what's not meant to be. My suggestion is, if you want to have turkeys to keep around for years at a time, invest in a heritage breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom