Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.5%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 101 24.8%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 33 8.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure an occasional pizza treat won't harm them. I didn't vote because leftover pizza is not something we ever have, so my "never" is mostly because we have plenty of other treats for them. My chickens love variety. However, Foster Farms used to have a commercial chickens pretending to be Foster Farm chickens, but the fact they were driving a car, eating pizza and drinking soda revealed they were not. I once a left a styrofoam cooler out, and they pecked the heck out of that thing and ruined it. They all lived. Unrelated to your post, Turns out popcorn is a great substitute for styrofoam. I don't think an occasional treat of pizza is probably a lot better than styrofoam, driving a car or drinking soda.

Last edited:
Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
My chickens eat all kinds of table scraps that I have left over from the days meals, old food from the fridge, old bread etc. Honestly, the old saying “everything in moderation” applies to chickens as much as it does to people. Let the ladies enjoy some pizza every once in a while.

My chickens pick over anything that makes it to the compost pile. Dogs get first dibs, then chickens, then it ends composted. Mine haven't died from eating pizza. They don't get stuff like that often though.
Exactly!! Our chickens lay eggs consistently and their favorite food is pasta! They get a regular layer feed dailey and scratch here and there but I take left overs out to them and we have never had an issue and they are always so happy 😊. I haven't done pizza yet, but pasta, fruit.. pulled pork, pulled chicken..lol what ever.. I just don't give them sugary things. Unless Bob the chicken steals someone's cake which she does occasionally..lol

Rarely are there leftovers here, but a few times a year, there might be pizza crust, which is from a local Italian place, not a chain. So I did offer a few small pieces of crust, along with cabbage leaf pieces. Once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt, as long, as overall diet is healthy. A few small pieces of crust among 38 chickens equals a few pecks worth, per bird. There was more running with it & then stopping to gawk at it, than actual pecking, too funny.

They really enjoy mealworms, scratch, cabbage, cherry tomatoes, squash, watermelon, plain warm oatmeal on a cold winter day & a delicious fresh corn cob best...treats in small quantities weekly, veggies more often & suspended to create pecking fun.

Last edited:
Our chickens eat everything! About the only thing I do special when feeding scraps, is that I steam potato peels before I give that to them. Otherwise it's on like Donkey Kong! I'm including a list of stuff our chickens eat. NOT on a daily basis, but they have, IN NO WAY, suffered negatively from any of this!
*Cat litter (yes, we swapped all cat litter for laying mash and give it to them once a week or so)
*Crab shells (we live on the coast and put out crab pots half the year. The chickens get any crab shells, lobster shells, or shrimp shells).
*Chicken/turkey carcasses (sorry/not sorry)
*Fish scraps (I steam quickly, like potato peels)
*Restaurant leftovers
*Expired (cooked) pasta

Back
Top Bottom