Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Chickens can and will eat anything thrown their way. They have a tough system that can handle most anything they are feed. There is nutrition in everything from table scraps, bugs, grains, grass, vegetables, etc.. Never heard of a chicken getting sick or have diahrea from anything except poision. Their first priority is to feed them a balanced diet, Purina. Then the rest follows.

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
Chickens can eat just about anything, except avacado they are toxic to chickens. And citrus they are not a fan.

Humans and chickens and their eggs are what they eat! I'm sure they loved the pizza. The rule I use is - I feed my chickens anything I would eat, but unlike me, they can eat food that is past the expiration. Since I would not likely eat pizza from a restaurant, they wouldn't be eating pizza either. I raise chickens for healthy organic eggs and what they eat transfers to their eggs and then to me. So I feed them organic feed and food that I would eat: Organic veggies, meat, pumpkins, noodles, rice, nuts, fruit, whey from making cheese, yogurt, sour milk, potatoes, good bread that got too hard, oatmeal, popcorn, tortillas, things from the fridge that I'm not sure what they use to be. They love worms when we are working in the garden, we keep trying to get them to love slugs, but they eat one and then move on.

If you are OK eating pizza, then I think it is OK having your chickens eat pizza too.

I like that your run has a rug in it. Is that plastic so you can hose it off?

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
Your chickens look pretty happy and healthy. You're doing something right.
I've had chickens for almost 60 years and I feed mine any and all table scraps and I let them sort out what they do and don't want, and usually only beans and onions are left behind. Mine free-range so their diet varies tremendously in the course of a year. I always have commercial feed available for them, along with clean water, but for most of year commercial feed comprises less than half of their intake of calories. They've never had health problems other than leg scale mites, and mites are not from the food that they are eating.

I feed mine pizza about 1x/month. They don't complain unless the slices land topping side down. No complaints from the flock thus far though. I'd be more leery of the big companies feed that could contain Monsanto items in it. I don't have proof of any big name feed containing Monsanto. But Monsanto is everywhere and they don't have to disclose it. I do know though when we have to feed the dog brand name food [can't mention names but it rhymes with Urina] he doesn't do well with it.

My chickens rarely get leftover pizza because there's rarely leftover pizza....
But they did Subway on Tuesday...

(My chickens eat and enjoy all leftovers all the time, I just have to remove the leftover from any styrofoam containers because they eat that, too. Every Sunday night the 2 refrigerators in the control room at work get emptied out and goes in a bucket for my chickens. The only things they don't eat are iceberg lettuce, raw onions, lemons & limes and some pickles.)(I am not saying it's healthy but I've never seen one with issues from it.)
I think you're idea is good for pigs but chicken's don't have the right enzymes to digest such things. I have chickens so I control what they eat and control what my egg is made with. Pesticides and herbicides do get into the egg so to me, why bother having your own hens; it's much easy and cheaper to purchase the eggs.

Mine never turned down chicken meat either. They don't like meal worms though.
Species appropriate diet based on how they evolved. That goes for dogs, cats, cows, horses, humans. Directly connected to health and risk factors for longevity. You are what you eat right, so feeding chickens poor quality diet for their species will devalue the nutrition of your eggs.

View attachment 2498991
This gave me a good laugh because I just love the chicken world, but I wouldn’t recommend giving them zaw again. 😂

Back
Top Bottom