Help! My Wyandotte chick has bent toes!?

missalysha

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
I just got my day old chicks yesterday and didnt realize until today that my wyandotte chick has two bent toes. I dont know if this is serious or if it will straighten out once she gets stronger/older. Does anyone know what i should do? She doesnt have any trouble standing or getting around at all. Please help!
34973_imgp1156.jpg

34973_imgp1157.jpg

Hi, it doesn't look too bad. Some poor little chickies have all of their toes bent. If you want to try to fix it you can place some medical tape face up and place it's foot on the tape and position the toe as it should be on the tape and then place another piece of tape on top of the toes and stick it together between the toes. Cut off the excess around the foot but not from between the toes. It should look something like a tape shoe. Leave it on for about 4-5 days and gently remove it (soak it if nec. to remove it safely). Repeat this until you get the toe to look normal.
Replace the tape in between times if it gets wet or real dirty. Good luck.

I have some with bent toes... likely due to improper incubation temps.

I tried the cardboard and tape but I could never get it to stay on longer than a day.

Good luck.

Thanks for the idea! i will give it a try today.
If i were unable to fix it myself would it eventually straighten out or would she always have a bent foot?

Great, thanks for the help! I hope i can straighten them to some extent for her sake!

I tried the tape method only for a short time because the other chicks were very curious of the new stylish shoes my wyandotte chick was wearing and wouldn't leave her alone, so i took them off in the end.
The following day i checked in on her feet and they were straight! So i guess she just needed a little help setting them right. I will definitely get some vitamin to add to the water just to give them all a little boost. Thanks for all your help!

I have a one year old Rhode Island Red with one bent toe. The bent toe doesn't appear to make any difference at all to her but it does help me tell Porscha from Phoebe (the other RIR)
big_smile.png

I have three or four like that. Frankly, I didn't notice it at first; I had 50+ babies, and shipping stress and poopy butts to deal with. They all got vitamins for the first couple of weeks. The toes still look like that, and the chickens get around just fine; no one gives any indication it bothers them at all. My lead roo has one toe like that.

Back
Top Bottom