Help! Nasty eye promblem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredRocks3, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have a thirteen week old Pekin drake, one of this eyes now has a nasty looking infection or something. The iris has turned from a blue ish color to red brown. It's getting red around the eye aswell and it looks like the eye itself is shifting away from the bill and under the skin leaving a noticeable gap between the eye socket and the eye. He keeps his eyes closed most of the time. What's wrong with him and how can I help cure it? Is there a medicine or something? Has anybody else seen anything like this? Here's a pick of his eye [​IMG]

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Apply triple antibiotic or polysporin ointment to the eye area. Just glob some on the eyelid some will get in. Vets use this for eye infections.

3. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    How many times a day for the ointment?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can try doing it a couple times a day but especially in the evening before you put them to bed that way she won't wash it off as easy and it will have a chance to do it's work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At this point I would consider oral antibiotics as well as surface treatment, and I think @casportpony may have some ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by