Help! Need advice on an egg quickly!

4goldens

Hatching
5 Years
May 27, 2014
I had six silkie eggs that hatched much earlier than I thought they should've! Anyway, two hatched out while the turner was still on then after leaving then others in the incubator for another day, I decided to candle them. (Yes, I know, don't open the incubator) After that, I thought the other three eggs were dead so I decided to open to find out what happened. First two were dead. One looked like it tried to pip inner membrane but couldn't get through. Second one, I'm not sure. Now, opened the third, it looks extremely dry inside but I saw slight moment under the membrane when I was about to poke through it. I nicked it slightly and it bled a tiny bit. So, what do I do now besides raise humidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had six silkie eggs that hatched much earlier than I thought they should've! Anyway, two hatched out while the turner was still on then after leaving then others in the incubator for another day, I decided to candle them. (Yes, I know, don't open the incubator) After that, I thought the other three eggs were dead so I decided to open to find out what happened. First two were dead. One looked like it tried to pip inner membrane but couldn't get through. Second one, I'm not sure. Now, opened the third, it looks extremely dry inside but I saw slight moment under the membrane when I was about to poke through it. I nicked it slightly and it bled a tiny bit. So, what do I do now besides raise humidity?

If you don't have a big hole in the shell and your humidity is up or you can get it up quickly, just put him back in and give him time. If the membrane looks dry-especially if you removed a big amount of shell or your humidity is low, wet a paper towl to put around the egg and put it back in the bator. Hopefully, everything will turn out and when he's ready, he'll hatch out. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not drying out.

My wife does all this, but she's not shy about pipping for them if she sees they're alive and it's 'late'...She'll pop a hole in membrane also, sometimes they bleed a tad, most of the times they don't...Nothing pisses her off more than a wittle baby spending all that time growing only to not be able to pip out...Some say it's Darwin, I don't say anything(been married 28yrs, I know better, but I agree with her efforts), that's her part of this world, I just enjoy all the ones that live!...So don't fret, it's not over and it may be what saves the little baby!!! Good luck!

Last edited:
My wife does all this, but she's not shy about pipping for them if she sees they're alive and it's 'late'...She'll pop a hole in membrane also, sometimes they bleed a tad, most of the times they don't...Nothing pisses her off more than a wittle baby spending all that time growing only to not be able to pip out...Some say it's Darwin, I don't say anything(been married 28yrs, I know better, but I agree with her efforts), that's her part of this world, I just enjoy all the ones that live!...So don't fret, it's not over and it may be what saves the little baby!!! Good luck!
See, some men do learn!!! lol I don't believe in letting them die if you can help either. I wouldn't normally pip for them, but if they've pipped and looks like they need help, I won't hesitate. I would make an exception to pip if they started peeping inside the shell and hadn't externally pipped by 24 hours. Lots of people feel if they can't do it all themselves then they aren't good enough/strong enough to raise for their flock. I just can't swallow that philosophy. I believe everything deserves a chance even if they need a hand.

If you don't have a big hole in the shell and your humidity is up or you can get it up quickly, just put him back in and give him time. If the membrane looks dry-especially if you removed a big amount of shell or your humidity is low, wet a paper towl to put around the egg and put it back in the bator. Hopefully, everything will turn out and when he's ready, he'll hatch out. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not drying out.
Completely agree :) it's so hard but just pop it in with plenty of water to keep the humidity raised and leave him too it :) keep an eye without opening the incubator. Let us know how it goes :D

Looks like you've been given lots of good advice already, so good luck, I hope your little one makes it. Stressful stuff this hatching business!

Back
Top Bottom