HELP! Need advice regarding shelf liner, on day 20

Pics
:goodpost:

My babies usually break that cord off themselves or if it's being stubborn I'll carefully snip it (if there is any bleeding near the navel I like to dab a little betadine on it to sterilize. I've used plain antibiotic ointment with no pain reliever too, though in a few cases I didn't have anything on hand and the chicks never had an issue. I've had babies come out with a small bit of unabsorbed yolk once or twice, it just hardened and fell off eventually ( I can't remember how long it took to fall off, at least a few weeks but it didn't bother the chick). That stuff on the babies behind could also just be waste from its time inside the egg. I've had a few chicks pop out with that stuck firmly to the navel (it scared me at first until I realized what it was), if it's just the waste you can gently remove it if it hasn't hardened on there.

I hope everything is looking good today with that baby, from what I can see I really don't think the little one will have problems. Congratulations on yet another baby with a chipped egg making it out! :love

By far, this is the TEENIEST little baby I've had! Was up until 4 am making sure he was gonna make it. But here he is this morning chirping strongly away. He hasn't still fluffed up like I thought he would. I'm not sure if maybe that is due to some coconut oil on him. (can he be cleaned up at all?) It seems to me that this IS a dried yolk hanging on to him. Almost appears to be stuck to the feathers, but just the tiniest strand is on there. I would like to put him in the brooder soon, but I am afraid the others will pick on him. Still not sure what to do yet. THANKS SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR HELPING!!! :love:wee

Attachments

• IMG_6038.JPG
    IMG_6038.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6059.JPG
    IMG_6059.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6062.JPG
    IMG_6062.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6064.jpg
    IMG_6064.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 10
By far, this is the TEENIEST little baby I've had! Was up until 4 am making sure he was gonna make it. But here he is this morning chirping strongly away. He hasn't still fluffed up like I thought he would. I'm not sure if maybe that is due to some coconut oil on him. (can he be cleaned up at all?) It seems to me that this IS a dried yolk hanging on to him. Almost appears to be stuck to the feathers, but just the tiniest strand is on there. I would like to put him in the brooder soon, but I am afraid the others will pick on him. Still not sure what to do yet. THANKS SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR HELPING!!! :love:wee

It actually looks like the egg waste to me personally. There was probably more in his shell than you saw in others because he was in there a bit longer. It will probably fall off shortly. If not, like LynnaePB mentioned above, it will dry in time as well.
You did it! Your babies came out great and now it's just time for them to eat, sleep, and poop all over your nice clean brooder, lol. :bun:woot

It actually looks like the egg waste to me personally. There was probably more in his shell than you saw in others because he was in there a bit longer. It will probably fall off shortly. If not, like LynnaePB mentioned above, it will dry in time as well.
You did it! Your babies came out great and now it's just time for them to eat, sleep, and poop all over your nice clean brooder, lol. :bun:woot

:yuckyuck THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!! :love

I'm so happy to hear the little one is doing well!!! I hope someone who has used the oil will be able to answer about him/her fluffing out. And I 100% agree with CluckNDoodle, that looks a lot like waste to me!

You've been a life saver!!! Into the brooder he goes then! I won't pull on it or mess with him/her and I will make sure no picking on him goes on too. :bow:bow:bow :celebrate:love:celebrate

Good luck, if the other ones do try to pick at it too much you might be able to work it loose with some warm water (I always removed it when they hatched when it was still wet so it wasn't an issue, with mine it was covering the vent too so needed to go).

It's been great following along with your hatch, so exciting! Your new babies are so adorable, so many colors too, I bet it'll be really fun watching them grow!!!:D

Good luck, if the other ones do try to pick at it too much you might be able to work it loose with some warm water (I always removed it when they hatched when it was still wet so it wasn't an issue, with mine it was covering the vent too so needed to go).

It's been great following along with your hatch, so exciting! Your new babies are so adorable, so many colors too, I bet it'll be really fun watching them grow!!!:D

I was going to suggest similar!
Maybe take a qtip, dip it in warm water, and gently try to wipe it off. It should fall away easily while it's still moist.

Back
Top Bottom