Help Need Companion Chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hicksbleecker, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hicksbleecker

hicksbleecker New Egg

May 13, 2012
    I had a very unsuccessful hatch and only got one chick out of 14. Now I have a very lonely banty that needs a friend. Looking for a new banty hatch, one week or two old to purchase. I'm in Thousand Oaks, CA. Anyone got anything?

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    jus because they are alone doesnt mean they need a chick but that would be best. you can set up a feather duster to be mama hen. and put a mirror in to make it think it has other chicks. i had a friend who had the same problem and followed this and it turned out fine.

3. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Clarksburg, MD
    I had the same problem this spring. I posted my "Lonely Only" to Freecycle in my community and had LOTS of people willing to add one more chick to their hatch. Here is a list of Freecycle communities in California: http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/California
    I ended up giving my little one to an experienced chicken fancier who was looking for Wheaten Ameraucanas.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Someone gave me a single hatch earlier this month, having read on BYC, I tried the mirror & feather duster/stuffed animal method. It works great, the next day I located a chick close in age. They BOTH love their feather duster & looking at the other chicks in the mirror that looks like them...It's cute. The single hatch's an Orpington while the company chick is a Silkie, they were similar in size but now I'm wondering if I should have left well enough alone. The Silkie is half the size of the Orpington but they get along, I will probably have to rehome the Silkie eventually, don't know how it will work into my 2 month old 6 Pack (2 Orpington, 3 Wynadottes, 1 Ameraucana) .

6. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Check Craigslist for your area. Just make sure you are getting a healthy chick. Ask a lot of questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by