Help Need DEBEAKING answers

Jaguar6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Hello,

I am relatively new at chicken farming and have various type of hens including 2 newbies that are just regular brown laying hens. Unfortunatly, the 2 newbies were debeaked before I got them. I am very concerned for there wellbeing and am wondering if they can survive like that. When I got them, I did not knwo anything about debeaking and thought that maybe somehow their beaks will grow back. After reading stuff on line, I realize now that their beaks will not grow back and I am terrible sad and confused about what to do with them. Can they eat properly even when debeaked?

Thanks

They debeak battery hens and they eat enough or they would never lay eggs. It is a cruel practice used to prevent them from picking on each other as they are so crowded in a small cage. At least the ones you have will have room to be a chicken and not just an egg laying machine now.
smile.png

I bought 2 pullets who were debeaked. It wasn't something I was looking for or wanted, but I figured I could probably give them a much better life than they might get elsewhere. Depending on the damage done, you may have to dust them a little more often, because they might not be able to groom themselves as well. A deep feeder that they can really sink their beaks into will help too. One of my pullet's beak was really mutilated, cut way too short. She's turned out to be my best layer.

Back
Top Bottom