Help! Need layout ideas for rectangle coop!

OneLostHen

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Houston TX
Finally building a new coop!! Yay!

Now I need layout ideas for the inside.. Its 4X8, and 6 foot tall.
The pool will act as an awning for where the door is going to go.
(pool will also be fastened down on the sides and will make it stand more upright and be secure)

The window is pictured on the near wall. I wouldnt mind some roosts to be by window. but I dont want all roosts to be there incase weather is bad/cold.
So I can pu some further back, where its enclosed more, but then, where do I put nest boxes?
On the back narrow wall? (Straight across from where the door is going to be?

Any visuals or suggestions will help!
Thanks!

Made a TERRIBLE visual, but best I can do
Shows back wall, door, and wall beside door, in
orange

And I can eathier put a vent across the back wall, or next the the door... I worry about rain coming in if its on the back wall, but it gives more air flow...

And where can i put the roosts so i can still walk through???

If it were mine:

Make the door open out - uses zero space inside
Roost opposite wall from the window - birds can enjoy the window w/o being subjected 'directly' to cold or heat
Install poop shelf under roost - then use the space below for storage (feed, ACV, DE, scoops, gloves, etc) and nest boxes.
Narrow but usable walkway along window wall.
Feed / water at far end - away from door and roosting activity.

Thanks for the input!!

Those are great suggestions. I like where you think the roosts should go. would make a nice flow of things!

Forgot to mention. Although I'm not using these (my coop/shed came with way too much ventilation) I think that several of these placed high along the back wall and low along door will give pretty good ventilation depending on how many chickens you put in there.

metal - adjustable

How many birds will you be housing in this size coop?
Do they have an outdoor run too?
I almost think the door might have been better off on a long wall at one end, making everything within easy reach and not needing much in terms of an 'aisle'.
That being said, I do like the ideas above of where to place things in its current construction style.
There are also vent ends you can buy for the outside of an attic space. They come with the outside preventing bad weather in, screened and ready to install. Check out 'gable ends' for either house or shed if you might consider buying something.
I too vented my past coop front and back. I did have a large enough space to also have side windows that opened inside. Helped get the hot air out too when in summer.

Looking good.
Jenny

5 birds. And unless its gross outside, they are free ranged in my yrad. Or if Im not home, in a 15X20 pen.
Ill look at several options for vents too!

thanks!

you could always use milk crates for the nest boxes too. They can be hooked to the wall, or build a bit of a shelf for them to rest on.
Only thing needed would be a wooden front face part way up each to keep the nest/eggs/hen inside in comfort and nothing rolls out.
Plus added bonus, dead easy to take out and hose off if/when they get dirty.

I was probably overboard on vents and/or places to let air cross in my coop. It came from having to 'check the chickens' as a kid on the farm I grew up on.
It only had windows on the front side and if the wind didn't come from that way, no air came in and it got crazy stuffy in there.
I hated that, and made sure I had more than I thought I'd need, and it payed off with a warm, comfy, dry coop, that never really smelled much of birds, even when there were ducks housing with them in winter.

Coop is coming along!!!
Had a little set back, all the plywood we bought was defective. Literally peeling off itself. Didn't get wet or anything, just didn't get processed rite.

Soooo after a haggle, we got our money back and bought treated plywood. Figured if we have to do the walls over again, get the better stuff and make sure this coop can last the years ahead.
After cutting the new wood, time for paint!!! I chose beautiful canary yellow and going to paint grey-blue trim. I wanted it to always remind me of spring time!

I'll have to take a pic in the sun to show the paint's full "effect".
Also found these hidden treasures in our shed!! Going to mount two on the door and two on the wall next to the window!!!

Will post more pics when it's complete!!

Back
Top Bottom