Help, need opinions!

Sean065

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2021
So on day 3 my broody had an egg break under her and got all the rest covered in yolk and white. I immediately cleaned out the nest but my question is, is it even worth it to keep trying with them getting covered this early?

In my opinion, it's not worth it. The broken egg has already spread bacteria on all the others, and probably killed any developing embryos. If the hen seems happy, I would give her some more eggs. Sitting a few days longer is usually all right.

I've been through some remarkable hatches that should never have been. The hens feathers do a pretty good job of cleaning things up. If she is still setting then removing the eggs could actually be worse for her. I say keep going. If nothing hatches then not meant to be. But you sure will be glad if some do.

In my opinion, it's not worth it. The broken egg has already spread bacteria on all the others, and probably killed any developing embryos. If the hen seems happy, I would give her some more eggs. Sitting a few days longer is usually all right.
My broody stayed on eggs for 5wks. Her eggs were infertile so I gave her new ones on her day 13... She stayed on them until hatch. She was REALLY determined though

Part of my problem is I waited a couple days to give her eggs in the first place. I would like to wait until day 7 to see if anything is developing but I don't want her sitting too long and hurting herself in the long run. Also there were eggs in that clutch from a hen we really want to see baby's from

20210722_162417.jpg

Update for anyone interested. We did have a successful hatch! We did have a couple infertile and a break along the way. All together she hatched 4 and adopted a couple amerucana as well.

Back
Top Bottom